My new best friend.

on August 3, 2011 in Get Fit, That's delish. with 11 comments by

Is a rotisserie chicken.

I know, I know, you guys have thought of this a zillion times. But the idea of buying a cooked rotisserie chicken and using it all week was a phenom to me.

You know, this whole cooking at home this is going pretty well so far. Last Thursday and last Friday y’all had some great ideas for recipes and foodie blogs. My foodie blog folder in google reader is burstin’ at the seams now. And I’m excited.

So thanks for that. You guys are such givers.

And as you know, I made this dinner last week…

It was yummy. For multiple days.

For that meal[s], I had shredded the whole chicken and had probably two cups left. So yesterday I bought some whole wheat rolls and BBQ sauce [yes, Scotland has good BBQ sauce. I know. It’s crazy talk. But it’s true]. Then I just did a little mixin’ with that leftover chicken and blah-dow!

So I think the ole BFF rotisserie chicken will be sticking around for a while. And check out that orange! A real beaut. I mean, it’s no salad, but it is a start. 🙂

Eating healthy. Walking all over Edinburgh. It’s a good start, people. A good start.

I knew you’d be proud.

Questions for you:

1. Other easy meals I can make with a rotisserie chicken?
  2. Other staple items like a rotisserie chicken that I can buy once and use in different ways?

1. posted on Aug 03, 2011 at 4:43 AM  |  reply

Ok, here are a few UK food suggestions. If there is a Co-op near you, zap in there and buy some fresh tomato and mascarpone sauce (2 for £3). It is delicious with just about anything. pasta, left over stuff, like chicken and veg, and also sliced sausage. Do NOT buy the Tesco one – it is revolting. And try the pork sasuages with apple from Tesco or Sainsburys. Fantastic! If you grill them (I pop them in an oven and bake for 20mins on a tray) you can eat what you need, and then use the leftovers for meals for a few days, in stirfry or with other veg, or salad. That is a start. The chickens are excellent. If you ever want a marinade, the Nando sweet and sticky one is the absolute best. I buy pork shoulder steaks and marinade them overnight and then grill or BBQ them and they are superb. You can get it at Tesco or Sainsburys, or Co-op. The Co-op has some excellent offers on each week. Check them out if you can find one.
    There are plenty near you!

• posted on Aug 03, 2011 at 4:47 AM  |  reply

@Linds, Sorry – that link isn’t working. Here is the store finder one, just put in Edinburgh and off you go. And now I will leave your comment section alone and go and peel apples…..

2. posted on Aug 03, 2011 at 4:44 AM  |  reply

oops – that link is rather long and ugly, but it should take you to the locator.

3. posted on Aug 03, 2011 at 5:52 AM  |  reply

crepes! (I’m in a crepe phase at the moment… i think they are the yummiest thing I’ve eaten in…. forever!)
    I add chicken (pre cooked is perfect), feta, baby spinach, cheese & sour cream while it’s still cooking (cook on a lower heat) so it gets warm and melty….mmmm

4. posted on Aug 03, 2011 at 5:56 AM  |  reply

oooh and roasted potato and pumpkin… mmmm

5. Face
    posted on Aug 03, 2011 at 6:52 AM  |  reply

Instead of buying a rotisserie chicken, you can buy a whole chicken, just stick in your oven an hour before you want to eat (190 or 205C)and shred that up– It’s still juicy bc you’re cooking with the skin on, but less calories/fat than the rotisserie.
    If you get comfortable with that, you can try sprinkling some salt & garic power on the outside before you cook.
    Viola!

6. posted on Aug 03, 2011 at 9:37 AM  |  reply

Rotisserie chickens are perfect for making multiple soups and casseroles. I also use it for chicken salad or to perk up a regular salad.

7. posted on Aug 03, 2011 at 10:40 AM  |  reply

Add the chicken to any number of pasta dishes or rice. I usually will buy a rotisserie chicken and it will last us the week {of course, there are two of us so it may last you a bit longer}. I add it to pasta with steamed vegetables and grated Parmesan. I add it to rice with the veg and cheese too. I make chicken and rice soup with frozen veg added to it and lots of spices {always use cumin with this – so tasty!}. You can also shred one of the breasts and put it on a baked potato with toppings of your choice.

I am so proud of you and your cooking! That sandwich looks delish!

8. posted on Aug 04, 2011 at 8:08 AM  |  reply

The southern classic (but not very healthy) chicken poppyseed casserole!! Oh it’s my favorite!

9. Houston
    posted on Aug 04, 2011 at 8:33 AM  |  reply

I’m a big fan of browning up lowfat ground beef (2 lbs) with one large onion, a bell pepper (you pick the color) a can of diced tomatoes (I like the fire roasted ones) and some garlic. I then store this in the fridge and portion it out for… pasta sauce, sloppy joe’s (I use the Rachel Ray recipe) and tacos/burritos/taco salad. Easy peasy!

10. posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 12:53 PM  |  reply

Ooh, my favorite chicken recipe is chicken salad!

2 cups cooked, cut-up chicken
    1/2 cup miracle whip or mayo
    1 Tablespoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/3 cup sliced almonds
    3 sticks chopped celery

Just mix it all together. 🙂 I also like chicken tacos … I s’pose you could do that with rotisserie chicken.