Top 5 Friday: Paint them nails!

on August 12, 2011 in TOP 5 FRIDAY with 32 comments by

TOP 5 FRIDAY is when we each list five of our favorite things, depending on the topic. Feel free to join in via the comments or by posting on your own blog and linking back here. Play along. It’s Friday.

. . . . .

If this topic doesn’t send the small percent of boys that read my blog running for the hills, I don’t know what will. [Dear dudes, next week, we’re doing Top 5 favorite sports teams, so don’t quit me yet.]

I’m a habitual nail biter and it is gross and awful. A few years ago I tried to combat that with getting fake nails put on, but that got PRICEY and I messed with them too much [shocker].

Then Nashville taught me to start wearing colors. Lots of colors.

And I’m addicted.

So I made space in my suitcase for all the colors I own and brought them along to Edinburgh. I probably change my fingernail color twice a week? But it keeps me from biting so YAY VARIED AND SUNDRY COLORS!

Today, I will share with you my five favorite colors. [Disclaimer: these may not be my five favorite colors ever, because I do love that yellow OPI from the Shrek collection… but these are the five favorite that I own.]

TOP 5 FAVORITE NAIL POLISH COLORS

[In Scottish: TOP 5 FAVOURITE NAIL VARNISH COLOURS]

#1. Essie — Secret Affair

Though I don’t believe in having a secret affair, I do believe in painting my nails with secret affair. With two coats, it comes out as a very soft pinkish beige. Perfect for the spring. [But I wear it whenever I want because you know why? THE SEASONS AIN’T THE BOSS OF ME.]

#2. OPI — You Don’t Know Jacques

My winter go-to shade. And it is true, I don’t know Jacques, but I like him. A lot. With one coat, this color looks milk chocolate and with two coats, it takes on a very dark grey tone as well. No kidding, it’s the perfect cold weather shade.

#3. Essie — Very Cranberry

This color is misnamed, I believe. I think it is more of a strawberry smoothie kind of shade. I just grabbed this one recently at a 3-for-1 sale, and I don’t regret it one bit. It is a super happy shade of red, not to ZINGy but not pink either. [ZINGy coming next….] I like to pop this one on for a fun night out and then be too lazy to take it off for the days to follow.

#4. OPI — Cajun Shrimp

This bottle was a birthday gift from my sweet Louisiana-born friend Amber. She’s my favorite cajun shrimp. This color, as previously mentioned, is totes ZINGy. Bright. Blazing. One coat looks a little orange and the second coat brings a deeper red. It’s fantastic. So it Amber.

#5. OPI — I Vant To Be A-Lone Star

I first used this color in Dallas a few weeks ago [considering the name, it seemed like the right thing to do], and as soon as I returned to Nashville, while the color was still on the fingers, I bought a bottle myself. It’s a perfect greyish-blue. The bottle doesn’t quite do it justice, and since I’m currently wearing said color, here you go.

See? It kinda has shimmer to it without being glittery [though Mama doesn’t hate glitter, no sir]. It’s just a nice cool color that works with a lot of different outfits. In fact, I wore a light grey top last night and my nails matched almost perfectly. Which, if I let my obsession fully bloom, I would try to do that every day.

But I won’t.

Not yet, at least.

. . . . .

YOUR TURN!!

What are your favorite nail polish [varnish] colors?

. . . . .

Also, today over at Joy The Baker, you can WIN nail polish! Go for it!

By the way, you’re already a winner in my heart.

You’re welcome.

1. Amy W
    posted on Aug 12, 2011 at 5:31 AM  |  reply

Tehee, in Scottish it would actually be “Top 5 Favourite Nail Varnish Colours” ; )

You have some nice colours there : ) Mine are a subtle goldy colour at the moment!

posted on Aug 12, 2011 at 5:37 AM  |  reply

Ha! Great point, Amy. I’ll change it now.

Thanks for the proper translation. πŸ™‚

2. posted on Aug 12, 2011 at 7:18 AM  |  reply

I only wear one color: Cajun Shrimp. I’ve been known to leave a salon if they didn’t have Cajun Shrimp (really?) for my pedicure.

I rarely paint my finger nails but my toes are always an orangey-red Cajun Shrimp color.

posted on Aug 20, 2011 at 2:33 PM  |  reply

That’s right, girl. If they don’t have your color, they don’t have your money. I like it.

3. Julie Carpenter
    posted on Aug 12, 2011 at 7:35 AM  |  reply

I’m with Jennifer, in that I only wear one color and only on my toenails. I have a tendency to (hate to actually print the word) bite my fingernails when they reach a certain length. But I do like True Red toenail color. I splurged this summer and got a white flower with some bling on my toes. Surprisingly, it is still there.

posted on Aug 20, 2011 at 2:33 PM  |  reply

I would love to see the bling. Impressed.

4. Whitney
    posted on Aug 12, 2011 at 8:28 AM  |  reply

Oh,girl, I can so get on board with the top 5 favorite nail polishes. Though, this is a tough choice, and liabale to change next time I go to Target and wander through the nail aisle…

1. Sally Hansen Insta-Dri: Rapid Red. A lame name, but a perfect, classic blue-red.

2. Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure: Commander in Chic. I am guessing it’s a similar color to your number 2. A grey with some definite brown undertones.

3. Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure: Plum’s the Word: It’s a grey-purple and I always feel sophisticated and mysterious in it.

4. I can’t remember the name of it, but it’s dark purple. One coat a pretty vibrant purple, two almost black.

5. Ulta: Pinata Yada Yada: Rainbow glitter, for the days I need to feel like a rockstar.

I might have to try cajun shrimp though, just to see how it compares to my red.

posted on Aug 20, 2011 at 2:34 PM  |  reply

I looked them all up. I want them all. Amen. (I have an addiction and you are enabling me. Thank you.)

5. Merideth
    posted on Aug 12, 2011 at 8:39 AM  |  reply

I never wear nail polish unless I’m doing girly stuff with friends or my nieces. Or if I’m getting a manacure(I think my spelling there isn’t right). But, I usually like shades of pink, or red. I remember, as a kid, getting blue glitter nail polish and purple. Annie, you are so fun with this post that you make me want to get nail polish and paint my nails. I like the sound of that blue/gray one you got in Texas.

posted on Aug 20, 2011 at 2:34 PM  |  reply

Glitter is all the rage right now, Merideth. You are such a trendsetter.

6. posted on Aug 12, 2011 at 8:46 AM  |  reply

Five- I can only list 5!!
    That’s what I’m telling myself since I’d be here ALL day otherwise!

Currently I’m a BIG fan of OPI’s Shatter polish. Silver is my prefered color but I have the black and really want to get a few of the other shades.
    *side note on this polish -Guys seem to love it. It’s odd…I get compliments, comments and such everytime I wear it.

2. I love a good French Manicure so the OPI Alpine white & Samoan Sand are good for this.
    3. OPI Senorita Rose-alita
    4.OPI Its all Greek to me
    5.Yoga-ta Get this Blue

I’m not at home so these are just the ones I know I like to use and could find on the site. I tend to stick with OPI because I havent found a place where I can get Essie as much yet and OPI has better “staying power”.
    I love trying different colors and combinations (like a french with red * black) to mix things up.

Loved this post!

posted on Aug 20, 2011 at 2:36 PM  |  reply

My flatmate just got the shatter polish and it looks really cool. I can’t wait to try it!

7. alison
    posted on Aug 12, 2011 at 9:42 AM  |  reply

i like to mix opi “cajun shrimp” with opi “i’m indi-a mood for love” for the perfect shade or pink-y coral-ish perfection!!! this is summer go-to shade!

posted on Aug 20, 2011 at 2:37 PM  |  reply

A mixer, eh? Fancy, Allison.

8. Dana
    posted on Aug 12, 2011 at 9:43 AM  |  reply

I seriously want to try newspaper nails like this

like seriously!

posted on Aug 20, 2011 at 2:38 PM  |  reply

Flatmate Becky and I are TOTES into this. I can’t wait to try it!!

• Nicole
        posted on Sep 06, 2011 at 9:27 AM  |  reply

@Annie, I tried the newspapers nails and I love them, I used I Want to be A-lone Star as my base and I loved that too. So thanks ladies for the new favorite (for the time) nail color and nail trick.

9. posted on Aug 12, 2011 at 10:54 AM  |  reply

OPI’s “Mrs. O’Leary’s Barbecue”. Love it!

posted on Aug 20, 2011 at 2:40 PM  |  reply

Dark and lovely. I like.

10. cbed
    posted on Aug 12, 2011 at 10:59 AM  |  reply

Cajun Shrimp is B’s fave.

I am stuck with a rosy pink as the only acceptable nail color. Deep in my acceptor. I’m not stuck on a brand, I know this color when I see it.

Remember when you tried to paint baby Lydie’s toes green? B almost had a conniption.

posted on Aug 20, 2011 at 2:41 PM  |  reply

Some day, Lydia will call and ask if she can borrow my green nail polish. And I will cry a tear of pride.

11. Tay
    posted on Aug 12, 2011 at 11:36 AM  |  reply

Wow your list was really specific…right down to the brand and everything! πŸ™‚
    1. Anything peach colored {for my fingers}
    2. Bright pink {for my toes}
    3. Light pink {fingers}
    4. Purple {toes}
    5. Red {toes}

posted on Aug 20, 2011 at 2:41 PM  |  reply

It was easy when the bottles were sitting beside me. πŸ™‚

12. posted on Aug 12, 2011 at 1:51 PM  |  reply

My latest fave is Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure in Plum Luck (dark purple) on toes and fingers, but I also like Pedal to the Metal (silvery gray) from the same line. I almost always wear polish on my toenails but almost never on my fingernails (I blame years of piano and American Sign Language. Clean nails required for both!)

posted on Aug 20, 2011 at 2:42 PM  |  reply

It’s hard to find a good gray- but you nailed it with Pedal to the Medal.

13. posted on Aug 15, 2011 at 6:18 AM  |  reply

My favorite for my nails is Mademoiselle by Essie. For my toes, I LOVE India Mood For Love by OPI.

posted on Aug 20, 2011 at 2:43 PM  |  reply

Mademoiselle is a gorgeous pink. I want it real bad. (This post has ended up causing me to covet much.)

14. posted on Aug 15, 2011 at 2:09 PM  |  reply

Awwww, I’m your favorite Cajun Shrimp? Well, you’re my favorite Georgia biscuit? Wait. Georgia Peach? Yes.

posted on Aug 20, 2011 at 2:44 PM  |  reply

I don’t care what you call me as long as you call me. πŸ™‚

15. Jessica
    posted on Aug 19, 2011 at 10:29 PM  |  reply

The summer after graduating from high school my BFF Shireen and I wore a shade called MOVE OUT just because of the name. The shade wasn’t that cute, but the name made up for it.

posted on Aug 20, 2011 at 2:44 PM  |  reply

Y’all would. πŸ™‚

16. posted on Aug 27, 2011 at 10:14 AM  |  reply

I love OPI lacquer and I treat myself to one new bottle a season. Then I use it until it’s gone and buy one more. I have a train case FULL of other polish that I just need to throw out because they just don’t wear like OPI. Right now I’m wearing San Tan-tonio and I love it with everything…it’s great for all seasons and all outfits. I haven’t bitten my nails since i was a kid. To stop, I simply kept them trimed when I did (or do) wear them short. That way I’m not tempted to pick at them when I get hang-nails and jagged edges. Keeping polish on them is the key to growing them because, again, I don’t pick at them when I have polish on them…also…when they are longer, I get less hang-nails…go figure? Had fun with this post so I uploaded a photo of my favorite color here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rlphilbr13/sets/72157627530194716/

Have a great weekend. Fondly, Roberta