Top 5 Friday: Autumnal.

on September 2, 2011 in TOP 5 FRIDAY with 59 comments by

I think that’s a word. Let’s go with it either way.

This is my favorite season of the year. Absolutely favorite. And if you live in the UK [I LIVE IN THE UK!], it’s already 60 degrees and the leaves are starting to change. It feels SO right. Like, so so right.

Except that all my people in the USA are still roasty and toasty and I’m real sorry about that.

But none the less, no matter the temperature, it is September where you live. The month where Autumn begins.

So…. here are my TOP 5 FAVORITE THINGS ABOUT AUTUMN!

#1. SEC football

Maybe it’s because it is 100% impossible for me to watch Georgia play Boise State on Saturday night, but I am aching for some American football. With the rumors of Texas A&M coming to the SEC and the hopes that I always sadly place on the dawgs [only to be disappointed except in 2002], it just feels like fall to talk football. Also, this picture happens. And I love when this happens. Tailgating. Face tattoos. Red and black.

Sigh…. must move on before homesickness and a love for my people ravages my emotions.

#2. New seasons on TV

Sue me. I love TV. And I love when the fall comes around and all the new shows are on. Sadly, I will miss such an experience this fall. But. BUT. Do you know my friend Mary? Β She has started a new blog called Mama Loves Her Shows and it is going to be my link to my #2 favorite thing about the fall.

[Also, luckily, 30Rock has a delayed start this year because Tina Fey is having a baby. Congrats on the baby, Tina, and thanks for extending the joy of my season!]

#3. The changing of the leaves

Tell me a more beautiful death. I dare ya. There is none. The bright colors, the crunch of the leaves. The variety of shades. It’s the red ones that blow my mind. There is a place in Marietta, GA called Kennesaw Mountain and in the fall of 2005 we had a retreat with the youth group and I was a volunteer and I wore my favorite shorts and a sweatshirt and the leaves were perfect.

I am a random collection of purposeless memories. That I force you to read. You’re welcome.

#4. Halloween

I am a big Halloween fan. I mean, I don’t like the demonic stuff. But I love the pumpkin stuff. The kids-in-costume stuff. The tiny pieces of candy. I used to love to decorate my classroom for Halloween- spider webs, completely harmless and non-evil ghosts, black cats, all of it. The decor. I just enjoy the decor so much. And the smells. And the candy corns. And the temperature on Halloween. And the snacks. Please. How cute are these snacks?

#5. Wearing long sleeve t-shirts and flip-flops.

I know that’s weird. But this is the last month when I can wear my favorite combo. I love having warm arms but cool feet. In fact, I’m currently planning my Saturday outfit and you better believe that Edinburgh will see this look on September 3. In particular, I will be wearing my new Crossroads Church t-shirt while hanging out at the Fresher’s Festival at Napier University. [pray for us, please?]

Here’s the absolute worst part of this list. I have about eight more things that I want to say. Including Pumpkin Hershey Kisses. [Hey Mama, will you buy a bag of these and save them until I get home? Thanks.] But I’m not going to list them. Because I don’t want to rob you of your favorite.

. . . . .

YOUR TURN!

What is your favorite thing about Autumn?!?!

1. posted on Sep 02, 2011 at 3:43 PM  |  reply

Pumpkin candles

Cloudy skies and a new “feel” in the wind (of course, in so-cal, this weather never really alters much activitiy πŸ™‚

The feeling of new purpose and vision that always seems to accompany me into fall – this year, starting with September 1st, was no exception.

Cardigans and light sweaters for the SoCal slight evening weather shift…

Books – I love reading in the fall

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 4:48 PM  |  reply

There is something new and fresh about the fall- almost more than Jan 1, I think. Great reminder.

2. kathleen
    posted on Sep 02, 2011 at 4:01 PM  |  reply

Having all the windows open

Bonfires

All the pumpkin recipes…including pumpkin whoopie pies!

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 4:55 PM  |  reply

Your pumpkin recipes always amaze me.

3. posted on Sep 02, 2011 at 4:39 PM  |  reply

Absolute favorite season as well. At some point I will be heard quoting You’ve Got Mail, “I love New York in the Fall… I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils…”

But I digress. Favorites:

1. New TV seasons. YES.

2. Clothes.

3. That slight chill in the air and the way the sun seems to shine a bit differently than any other time of the year.

4. The Fair/School (even though I don’t go anymore). I used to love shopping for school supplies, so now their appearance signals the season. And nothing’s more fall-y than the State Fair.

5. To steal from above: open windows and bonfires.

I’m getting excited just thinking about it. And have the sudden need to flip through a J.Crew catalog.

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 4:57 PM  |  reply

You know what I was thinking today? Why can’t every breakup be as seemingly painless and Meg Ryan & Greg Kinnear’s in You’ve Got Mail?

(I’m not breaking up or being broken up with, I was just thinking about it.) πŸ™‚

4. posted on Sep 02, 2011 at 5:02 PM  |  reply

1. that it’s called autumn. i hate calling it fall. it sounds too much like “fail!”
    2. cold outside, crochet inside! (plus, the Lord just put it on my heart to give out handmade beanies to homeless people this thanksgiving. head over to my blog if you want to read more about it…im so excited about the already awesome response from people!)
    3. booooooots! i just went and got two pair. im debating a third. i have a sick, sick disease.
    4. layers. layers in clothing, layers in accessories, layers of color, layers of weather, layers in cakes. (ok…so maybe the cake thing was taking it a little too far?)
    5. scotland. ok…so maybe that has nothing (everything!) to do with autumn, but i just sit here with a goofy grin on my face as i read all about scotland on your blog. i miss it terribly and am living vicariously through you. ( i am vicariously having lots of fun and enjoying the changing of the seasons as i type. )

may the Lord continue to bless your time there!

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 5:06 PM  |  reply

Thanks for your kind words, Erika! Live vicariously as much as you would like. πŸ™‚

Boots last for a long time. Buy as many as you need. It’s a good investment.

5. Wes
    posted on Sep 02, 2011 at 5:12 PM  |  reply

1. The absolute best movies of the year start coming out in the fall. It’s Oscar season.
    2. Sitting by a fire pit, drinking some spirits and smoking some as well with the changing leaves and the cool air. Or coffee on the porch in the cold mornings.
    3. FOOTBALL.
    4. Sunroof open, heat on – driving down 2-lane roads with the music up. it’s the only time it feels good.
    5. Baseball playoffs: go Braves.

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 5:07 PM  |  reply

Tomahawk choppin’ from the other side of the Atlantic.

6. Merideth
    posted on Sep 02, 2011 at 5:17 PM  |  reply

Well, fall is not my favorite season. Summer is. But, I do like a lot of things about fall.
    1. sports: like you, I love college football starting, and the NFL too. OH, and the world series in baseball.
    2. food: Apple crisp, pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread/muffins, different comfort foods that are so good when the weather gets cooler, apple cider, etc.
    3. leaves: Growing up in the New England area the colors of the leaves were so incredible! I have some of the most beautiful pictures in my mind of different places in the town I grew up in covered with leaves of reds, oranges, and yellows. I used to rake the leaves in the front yard and jump in the pile. I also love the smell of burning leaves.
    4. crisp cool air: Now that I live in Georgia, the fall temperatures are a welcome change after a scorching hot summer. I like how it feels to sit outside on a crisp night with a sweatshirt or sweater on and having hot chocolate or hot cider.
    5. apple picking: I love going apple picking and pumpkin picking in the fall, and I think fall festival type activities like that are a lot of fun.
    I do also like the new start to television seasons, and just the overall new start that comes at this time of year. Then there is the anticipation that the holidays are just around the cornner. Christmas is my favorite holiday, but my favorite meal of the year is Thanksgiving dinner and that is in the fall. Love it.

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 5:07 PM  |  reply

The food was definitely in my next 5 list. πŸ™‚ Love all things apple and pumpkin.

• Merideth
        posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 5:45 PM  |  reply

@AnnieBlogs,
        I love everything pumpkin and apple, too, Annie. Pumpkin pie is my favorite pie. I need to find a good pumpkin bread/muffin recipe. then, there is apple crisp with the crunchie part on top. mmmmm. I’m getting hungry just thinking about it.

7. posted on Sep 02, 2011 at 5:19 PM  |  reply

I’ve been following you on Twitter for awhile now, but this is the first time I’ve commented. I love this post!

My favorite things about Autumn:

1. Cooler temperatures. I live in the Northwestern section of the United States, and we go from the 90s to the 50s-60s overnight.

2. Cardigans!

3. Scarves!

4. Rain.

5. School supplies. Though I graduated from college in May, I still want to go to Office Max and smell all the new notebooks.

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 5:08 PM  |  reply

Girl. You were made for Scotland. The top 4 of your list have been my life since July. πŸ™‚

Glad you commented! You are welcome here anytime! πŸ™‚

8. posted on Sep 02, 2011 at 5:22 PM  |  reply

pumpkin lattes, hoodies and flip flops, bonfires, and so much more. Best season EVER!!!

9. posted on Sep 02, 2011 at 5:24 PM  |  reply

Oh Annie! I miss you!
    My #1 is also college football. There is something about being in Sanford Stadium, or just in front of your tv about to watch the Dawgs. Its just a good feeling.
    2. The clothes. Scarves. Boots. Sweaters. Autumn colors. I love it all. I definitely love the flip flops in the autumn– then driving with your windows down and the heat on your feet.
    3. The music. I feel like there is certain music that just sounds better, or feels right in Autumn. Like Ryan Adams, Ray Lamontagne, Avett Brothers…
    4. The mountains and camping
    5. The food! Pumpkin Spiced Latte. Need I say more?!

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 5:09 PM  |  reply

Miss you too, Molly. Hurry back!

Fall Music = The Civil Wars. Totally.

I haven’t asked at my local Starbucks for PSL yet. But I’m gonna.

10. posted on Sep 02, 2011 at 5:40 PM  |  reply

Annie! Fall is my favorite and you are my favorite and I am loving all of this. Even though it is 90 in Chicago today, I am still loving all of the talk of autumn. I love…

Sales! Yes, this sounds crazy. But seriously there are back to school sales, end of summer sales, black Friday….so many great weekends to go shopping (including Labor Day weekend. HELLO!)

Nail polish colors. Okay, so maybe most of my “why I love autumn” reasons are a bit random. But seriously, I am all for the bright colors on the nails for the summer, but I absolutely love the deep, rich colors for fall. I especially love the purples and the grays.

Shoes. I love me some good high heels. During the summer, it is all about strappy sandals and wedges. I love pumps, booties, you name it! Most of those shoes look silly in the summer, but come autumn, it is time to bust them all out (and I have them all out and ready to be worn!)

My favorite outfit combination. Boots, skinny jeans or leggings, an oversized shirt or sweater, a scarf, and a jacket. I CAN’T WAIT FOR IT TO GET COLD ENOUGH FOR THIS!

Anything and everything outdoors. I am not one to love the heat. Come mid-September, I could live outside. The weather is perfect. I even love the storms. And the bonfires. And the apple picking. And pumpkin patches. I could go on and on.

I have so much music that I think sounds better in the fall. Call me crazy, but it’s so true. Ex. Damien Rice, Decemberists, Explosions in the Sky, Faces On Film, etc.

Oh geez I could make this list for days! Autumn is so love.

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 5:12 PM  |  reply

I have just looked thru my closet to attempt to make your favorite outfit. I want to wear it. Real bad.

11. Jessica
    posted on Sep 02, 2011 at 5:46 PM  |  reply

Fall is my favorite season by far! This post kinda made my day.
    1. Fall Fragrances from Bath and Body Works. And the obsessive-slightly creepy hand-smelling that will result from me using said products.
    2. Apple Hill- A place near my hometown that is what it sounds like- organic apples, pumpkins,pie,crisp air…
    3. My Birthday! October 20th, if you care to know. In fact, I’m such a fall lover that I have been known to substitute apple pie for birthday cake!
    4. Thanksgiving- I get to see my family and eat pumpkin pie. ’nuff said.
    5. A new school year- Fresh pencils. New jeans. New books.

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 5:14 PM  |  reply

I totally wish I had a birthday in the Autumn. Congrats on that.

12. posted on Sep 02, 2011 at 5:47 PM  |  reply

I can sum my love of fall up in three words: pumpkin. spice. latte.

And scarves! Rich, wooly, beautiful scarves. Okay, so maybe not just three words.

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 5:14 PM  |  reply

Yes yes yes. PSL FTW. πŸ™‚

13. posted on Sep 02, 2011 at 5:56 PM  |  reply

Honeycrisp apples, apple cider doughnuts, and hot mulled apple cider… I can’t wait for apple season!

I am totally with you on the long sleeves & flip flops. I love the combo & layering that fall brings.

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 5:15 PM  |  reply

A few weeks ago, some friends and I were at a food fest here in Edinburgh. There was a whole cider booth and I was like, “Oh man! Cider is my favorite! I could drink it for hours and hours. I mean, I drink it all the time at coffee shops in the US.”

Then they informed me that cider in the UK is all alcoholic.

So. I won’t be drinking it for hours and hours. πŸ™‚

14. Emily
    posted on Sep 02, 2011 at 6:07 PM  |  reply

1. Pumpkin spice lattes
    2. Pumpkin spice candles
    3. SEC football (GO VOLS!)
    4. Cooler weather
    5. Sweatshirts and UGG boots

Amen.

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 5:19 PM  |  reply

Go Vols? ewwwww……

But I still like you. No worries. The rest of your list is completely acceptable.

15. posted on Sep 02, 2011 at 6:11 PM  |  reply

Fall is a favorite for me too & oh my word I have NEVER heard of pumpkin Hershey kisses. I must live under a rock!! Must.get.some.
    1. The richness of colors in clothes, nature, food
    2. New shows
    3. Pumpkinh chocolate chip bread, pumpkin anything really
    4. Curling up under a cozy blanket to watch the new shows
    5. Scarves & boots

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 5:22 PM  |  reply

They are delicious… to me at least. πŸ™‚

I love pumpkin skinny chip muffins. Must figure out if I can make those here….

16. Treneka
    posted on Sep 02, 2011 at 7:04 PM  |  reply

I LOVE FALL!

1. Long sleeve shirts & flipflops!!
    Im not the only one — yayness!!

2. Sunlight through the beautiful leaves ..orange and yellow ones are my fav!

3. Bon fires!

4. Scarves!

5. Pumpkin lattes!

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 5:23 PM  |  reply

“yayness” may become my new favorite word.

17. posted on Sep 02, 2011 at 7:15 PM  |  reply

Oooh I just realised that I won’t get an autumn until next September! Weird!
    Normally my favourite Autumn thing is Easter. I love seeing the sun-rise over the Lake on a chilly Autumn morning.

Even though it’s not Autumn, I am so looking forward to my favourite shows starting again this month!

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 5:23 PM  |  reply

Ha! Excellent point. The world is a funny place to live, isn’t it?

18. posted on Sep 02, 2011 at 7:56 PM  |  reply

Fall is my favorite!

1. Pumpkin flavored anything
    2. Brach’s Autumn Mix candy corn- it is the perfect blend of awesomeness
    3. Post-season baseball for the lucky teams
    4. Breaking out my favorite sweaters and scarves…especially if I can still wear flip flops
    5. Foliage! Love seeing the leaves change color and even the smell of burning leaves
    6. The return of fave tv shows and trying out new ones
    7. Apple cider

OK, I’ll stop now.

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 5:25 PM  |  reply

I agree. Brach’s is delish.

19. Andrea
    posted on Sep 02, 2011 at 8:43 PM  |  reply

1. FOOTBALL FOOTBALL AND FOOTBALL!!
    2. CANDY CORN! The local grocery store starts selling it in august so I stock on it and eat it like a honey badger on a cobra.
    3. Drinking cold beer on my back porch in a snuggie around the fire pit.
    4. THE COOLER WEATHER. I live in Texas so anything below 90 is fantastic.
    5. PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE. No explanation needed.

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 5:32 PM  |  reply

Your list. It is fantastic.

20. posted on Sep 02, 2011 at 9:37 PM  |  reply

1. The crispness in the air. Such a relief after the hot, hot summers around here.
    2. The color of the leaves…
    3. and after the color is gone, the piles of leaves to play in.
    4. Pumpkin Whoopie Pies, pumpkin butter, pumpkin spice latte, pumpkin, pumpkin and more pumpkin.
    5. USC Football!

Praying.

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 5:37 PM  |  reply

USC? As in Carolina? Sheesh… I have one friend who is die hard USC and it makes the whole UGA/USC game a bit of a nightmare (for one of us). πŸ™‚

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 10:05 PM  |  reply

@AnnieBlogs,
        Yes, as in Carolina. I can imagine the grief you suffer from a die hard USC fan. You should be around here for the Clemson/Carolina rivalry. Sheesh is right.

21. posted on Sep 02, 2011 at 10:46 PM  |  reply

I am happy to be your link to fall TV! And YES, thank goodness for at least a couple shows not starting this month. I can only handle so much!!

Fall is my favorite, too. Love, LOVE.

(P.S. Still don’t love the fact that I’m flying all the way to the beach by myself next week. As opposed to road tripping it with you, of course.)

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 5:39 PM  |  reply

You are my TV life boat this fall, Mary. Don’t let me down. πŸ™‚

22. posted on Sep 02, 2011 at 11:17 PM  |  reply

Love the long sleeves and flip-flops! I’ve been known to do that clear into November. We don’t usually get lots of snow until after January. My sister has shoveled snow in flip-flops though. πŸ˜‰ Hope all is well!

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 5:39 PM  |  reply

Flip-flops really are a year round wear. πŸ™‚

23. posted on Sep 03, 2011 at 1:13 PM  |  reply

Anything pumpkin. And living in the Netherlands (soon to be Scotland), and can’t find pumpkin anything here. Bummer!

Oh, and the clothes. Like to be able to “cover up” a bit. πŸ™‚

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 5:40 PM  |  reply

Soon to be Scotland?!?! What part? Are we gonna be neighbors?

• posted on Sep 05, 2011 at 7:47 AM  |  reply

@AnnieBlogs, Not totally sure yet. My husband works (I say that in present tense, because he is there every other week right now) in Falkirk. So we are looking at a few different areas…but won’t be too far away from you!

24. posted on Sep 03, 2011 at 3:44 PM  |  reply

1. cooler temperatures for sure
    2. being cozy in hoodies and blankets.
    3. the colors. my hometown is nestled along the beach of lake michigan and the shoreline is covered in colorful forests in the fall and it’s really the only time i’m homesick. there are also tons of apple orchards which means lots of fresh cider.
    4. corn mazes and bonfires.
    5. pumpkin. pumpkin pie. pumpkin donuts. pumpkin rolls. pumpkin scones. pumpkin lattes. pumpkin pumpkin pumkin pumkin pumpkin…

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 5:41 PM  |  reply

I’ve never been good at corn mazes. Really capitalizes on my navigational weaknesses.

25. Amy
    posted on Sep 03, 2011 at 4:54 PM  |  reply

I love your post! Growing up, Halloween was always my favorite holiday. I also love flip flops with long sleeved shirts, changing leaves, bonfires and those cool nights and chilly mornings. I miss my people at home in TN & TX (I am living in England), but not the hot weather!

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 5:41 PM  |  reply

Thanks, Amy! Where in England do you live?

26. Diana
    posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 4:55 PM  |  reply

I recently discovered your blog and am so glad that I did! I just love everything about fall: the cooler weather, fall clothes (hello tights!), picking out a Halloween costume, a fresh routine, and trips to the cider mill are among my favorites.

• posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 5:46 PM  |  reply

Thanks for your kind words, Diana!

Yes. Tights. Love them. Here in Scotland they were tons of colored tights and it has me really excited for the temps to drop just a smidge. πŸ™‚

Hope to hear from you again soon!

27. Lauren M
    posted on Sep 04, 2011 at 5:37 PM  |  reply

1. Pumpkin Spice Lattes from Starbucks. Known as the PSL to true fans.

2. Sleeping with my window open. I love that cool breeze coming in my room as I sleep.

3. Cinnamon Pumpkin lotion from Bath & Body Works.

(Really, everything pumpkin flavored–coffee, candles, etc).

4. The shorter days. I love it when it starts getting dark earlier.

5. Cool weather clothes–scarves, boots, hats, etc.

I LOVE Fall! Or Autumn, as they say in the UK. πŸ™‚

28. posted on Sep 06, 2011 at 1:25 PM  |  reply

1 Autumnal is totally a word.
    2 It’s my favorite season too.
    3 Dude, I totally get the long sleeves and flipflops thing. I’ve been wearing that combo in the mornings now that its slightly cooler. (I have to switch back to tank tops when it gets into the 90’s later in the day, but for a few hours…)
    4 The light. It is different in Autumn. Goldeny? Coppery? Something. Beautiful.

29. Marlene
    posted on Sep 08, 2011 at 3:21 PM  |  reply

For me, here in Naples the best thing about autumn is decreasing number of morons on scooters (you need to come to understand) and less HEAT! Ufff..finally..

30. posted on Sep 08, 2011 at 9:30 PM  |  reply

OH MY GOSH! I LOVE long sleeved shirts, jeans, and rainbows. Or a short sleeved shirt, vest, jeans, and rainbows. That is totally my happy place/perfect weather.

Sorry. I got a little over excited there for a second.