Dear Laura.

on September 12, 2011 in Nash-livin' with 16 comments by

Dear Laura,

I think about the first time we met- when you were moving in to Marisa’s condo and Betsy and I showed up to give you the key. And not help you at all. 🙂 Thanks for not letting that define us.

Over the years, our friendship grew and we simply had a blast all the time. It was great to have another Georgia Bulldog in town, another girlfriend to confide in, and another soccer fan who really speaks the language of the sport.

Then.

Roommates.

As we have discussed multiple times, living with you healed a lot of hurts in my soul. You fought a lot of battles that were never meant for you. But you fought anyways. You cleaned up messes that others made in my heart. And I’m forever grateful.

You suffered through me leaving clean clothes in the dryer… for days. You put up with my true dislike of taking the trash out. You shared your own ROOM with me when our friend was in need a place to stay. For months.

[Side story: So Laura and I shared a room and a bed for a while. Girls can do that stuff and it’s not as weird as it apparently is for boys, especially when a friend is homeless and broken and needs a room and a bed. Anyways, one night, we were laying in bed and I was reading Real Simple and Laura was playing Angry Birds and I looked over to her and said, “Yeah, this is NOT how I pictured my life at 30 years old.” And I think she said for me to shut up.] [Back to my letter to Laura.]

And best of all, Laura, you kept a close eye on my love of fruit, making sure there is an orange in the fridge many days of the week.

You’re a really really great roommate. And a great friend.

The way you love Africa, the way you love your community, the way you love T.J. Maxx. It is all inspirational.

Also, I respect the way you forgive people.

Which is why, Laura, I need to tell you something.

I hijacked your brown flats and brought them to Scotland.

Keep the forgiveness comin’….

I miss you. And so do your shoes.

Love,

Annie

1. posted on Sep 12, 2011 at 6:11 AM  |  reply

oh.my.goodness. What a great job of buttering up before breaking the news. She sounds like a great gal. Let’s hope…

2. Laura
    posted on Sep 12, 2011 at 7:12 AM  |  reply

Well, I had a sneakin suspicion those flats had wandered into your suitcase. They look better on you anyways. 🙂 Thanks for the kind words! I LOVE being your roommate and miss you like crazy!!

3. posted on Sep 12, 2011 at 8:49 AM  |  reply

Oh my word! That’s hilarious. And you told her in public so she can’t kill you. 🙂 She sounds so sweet!

4. posted on Sep 12, 2011 at 8:52 AM  |  reply

Oh this made me laugh. Sound like a beautiful friendship!

5. Betsy
    posted on Sep 12, 2011 at 9:44 AM  |  reply

man when you put our first Laura meeting like that, we sound like a couple of jerks… if I remember correctly we had something very important to take care of, like a phone call with the president or a run to sonic.

• Laura
      posted on Sep 13, 2011 at 12:08 PM  |  reply

@Betsy, Bets- I still have major abandonment issues from that day. Yall owe me.

6. posted on Sep 12, 2011 at 10:51 AM  |  reply

I now need a pair of brown flats.

7. posted on Sep 12, 2011 at 1:27 PM  |  reply

she’s done it to me before too Laura…she’s a shoe thief that one. but definitely forgivable.

8. posted on Sep 12, 2011 at 1:42 PM  |  reply

Cracking up!

9. posted on Sep 12, 2011 at 5:33 PM  |  reply

Hilarious! I too, have articles of clothing, jewelry, and shoes that I have acquired from others’ closet!

I love your sidebar about sharing the bed! So hilarious!

10. posted on Sep 12, 2011 at 8:46 PM  |  reply

Wow, I can see why you hijacked those shoes. CUTE!

11. Logan
    posted on Sep 12, 2011 at 9:10 PM  |  reply

I like the way it took two months for this to come out.

12. posted on Sep 12, 2011 at 10:03 PM  |  reply

Hahaha, I was reading this and thinking it must be her birthday or something and you were writing a tribute post, and then I got to the end. Too funny. Those shoes are awfully cute!

13. shireen eldridge
    posted on Sep 13, 2011 at 2:51 PM  |  reply

Ha! You are so cute! AND I forgot how much I LOVED the bangs…you should consider going back. No pressure, just sayin’

14. Debbie (Mom)
    posted on Sep 13, 2011 at 4:59 PM  |  reply

Wow! How wonderful to have a friend like you in Annie’s life and vice versa but more importantly how wonderful to have a daughter like you in mine!

15. posted on Sep 17, 2011 at 10:31 PM  |  reply

Hey, if my friend had a pair of brown flats as cute as those brown flats are … I’d probably hijack ’em,too. 😉