Top 5 Friday: Fruity.

on September 30, 2011 in That's delish., TOP 5 FRIDAY with 21 comments by

TOP 5 FRIDAY is when we each list five of our favorite things, depending on the topic. Feel free to join in via the comments or by posting on your own blog and linking back here. Play along. It’s Friday.

. . . . .

Tomorrow morning is a big day in Scotland.

At 8:30am, Scotland takes on England for a massive World Cup rugby match. Scotland has to win by a large chunk [4 somethings… not points, not goals, but 4 some-measurement-of-success] and apparently England is very very good.

And here’s where things get crazy fun — our Crossroads friends are all getting together to watch and cheer and hope to see Scotland get those 4 thingys they need to win.

The host is offering bacon rolls.

Because I am my mother’s daughter and I believe in a well rounded breakfast, I will be bringing fruit salad. THIS fruit salad.

I love fruit. Fruity fruit fruit. Here it goes down. Down into my belly. [You’re welcome, Anchorman fans.]

So for today, let’s talk about it!

. . . . .

These are my TOP 5 FAVORITE FRUITS!

1. Bananas

I am one of those people that has a special love for bananas in any form. Greenish, yellowish, or brownish. Frozen, chopped, or smooshed. In breakfast, with lunch, or dessert. You say banana, I say gimme.

I would never claim this to be the healthiest of fruits. But it is better than a chocolate bar so get off my back, healthy fruit police.

2. Blackberries

I remember being about 10 years old and we were on vacation with my cousins. My aunt led a bunch of us hooligans down to a blackberry patch where we picked basketfuls and then made pies. That day began a long-lasting nostalgic love of blackberries. I really love the tart flavor, but I mainly love the vision in my head of walking to the patch in the heat of the summer and seeing later the pies set on the windowsill.

3. Oranges

Well, I’m sure I’ve told you before that orange juice is my drink of preference. I mean, I would drink a gallon a day if I wasn’t a self-control machine [yeah right]. But seriously, I do limit myself to one gallon a week. A GALLON. A WEEK. My heart beats for OJ. And oranges. I love eating them too, straight out of the fridge. I also am partial to orange flavored candy, but who wants to talk about sugar when we’re talking about fruit? [cue the laugh track] [Literally. The picture makes me thirsty. I have a problem.]

4. Pineapple

I remember watching a cooking show and the host said, “don’t be intimidated to cut your own pineapple.” And I was like, “you don’t know me!” but then I realized that she was right. I was scared. So I watched and learned and I’m proud to say that I can beautifully cut my own pineapple whenever necessary. And I love to do so.

[Just FYI, this picture is terrible. That pineapple is cut by someone who is intimidated. This slicing is NOT endorsed by AnnieBlogs.com.]

5. Green grapes

A staple in my life. It was only when I went off to college and had to purchase my groceries for the first time that I learned that grapes are bought by the pound and LORDY THEY CAN BE EXPENSIVE. But I love them frozen in the summer and for the rest of the year, I like to keep them in the fridge as a quick lil snack-ee-poo.

. . . . .

YOUR TURN!

What is your favorite fruit or favorite fruity recipe?

. . . . .

P.S. – Tomorrow is October. And this starts tomorrow. Get ready, people. It’s gonna be a fun month.

1. ~VA~
    posted on Sep 30, 2011 at 6:18 AM  |  reply

I LOVE GREEN GRAPES!

Seriously…I eat them like candy…like I eat an entire bag of grapes in under a week when “im home…and I haven’t had any in a L.O.N.G. time because I am a college student on a meal plan and the cafeteria does not serve green grapes…ever…or at least they haven’t since I got here halfway through August…and I’m still going through withdrawal…

2. posted on Sep 30, 2011 at 8:30 AM  |  reply

So this nothing to do with your current post but is applicable to a previous one. I blame you for the fact that i watched the entire season of Downton Abbey last night. Without moving. Not even to go to the bathroom.

But we have very similar top 5 fruits, minus the oranges. The work it takes to get into an orange, and then the fact that your fingers smell all day is just not worth it to me. Visit Va in the fall, go apple picking, and it will completely change your outlook on apples.

3. posted on Sep 30, 2011 at 8:32 AM  |  reply

ps – If you love blackberries so much, you should read Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech. Young adult novel, but you’d be all about it.

4. Merideth
    posted on Sep 30, 2011 at 9:22 AM  |  reply

I’m not as much of a fruit lover as you, but here are my faves.
    1. strawberries: I love strawberries in various forms. plain, chocolate covered(have to have chocolate covered strawberries at my reception when I get married), in smoothies, etc.
    2.raspberries: OK, so I love berries. Like you, I went berry picking with my family when I was a kid. Mom, my sister, and I, went blueberry, strawberry, and raspberry picking most years. We made homemade preserves out of them, and of course ate plenty on the way home from picking. I still love homemade berry preserves.
    3. apples: Again, went apple picking a lot growing up, and had apple pies to show for it, and caramel apples when my mom let me get the stuff to make them. I have no problem eating apples year round whether they are green or red. I’m actually going with my family apple picking this weekend in north Georgia.
    4. green grapes: I like these mostly because they are sweet.
    5. mini oranges: I’m not sure what they are really called, but my mom and I call them clementines. They are the little oranges that only come out in fall/winter. I love them because they are just the right size for a little snack.
    Your post made me think of fresh coconut. Not sure if that counts for a fruit, but I have actually never had fresh coconut, but love coconut in general so I think I’d like it. Surprisingly didnt’ get to have any when I was in Jamaica in college.
    OH, you asked about recipes with fruit. My mom and I like one with jello and whipped cream. First, mix the hot and cold water with the jello mix, as if you were just making it normal. Then, add fruit, and then put it in the refrigerator to gel. After it’s done gelling, scoop into a dish and top with either whip cream or coolwhip(depends on what you like). It’s a light desert in the summer, and I usually use strawberry jello and strawberries, or raspberry jello with raspberries. So yummy and so easy.

5. posted on Sep 30, 2011 at 9:53 AM  |  reply

I love all these fruits too as well as strawberries and raspberries and so many others!!!

One note too though… did you know that Pampered Chef now mankes a Pineapple slicer? Like the apple ones, that core the apples and slices them but in Pineapple size. Pretty cool huh, and makes pineapple cutting a tad less intimidating.

6. posted on Sep 30, 2011 at 9:53 AM  |  reply

Eeek! I love fruit. Here are my current faves:

1. Grapefruit – with just a pinch of salt. I always remember that when my mom’s side of the family would get together for long holidays someone would be in charge of bringing a crate of grapefruit. We love it.

2. Apples – I love many apples, but I don’t love granny smith (with certain exceptions in recipes) or red delicious. Too rubbery.

3. Strawberries – As a kid I used to dip them in sugar. SUGAR. That can’t be healthy. Ha. But, now I eat them plain or with just a drizzle of agave.

4. Blueberries – Nothing makes me happier than seeing that deep purple blue in a red bowl.

5. Bananas – Not only can you always remember to spell them without an extra ana by singing a Gwen Stefani song, they are the perfect snack with peanut butter. Or on a sandwhich. Again with peanut butter. Does it count if your love for a fruit is qualified by peanut butter?

7. posted on Sep 30, 2011 at 10:56 AM  |  reply

WHAT’S WRONG WITH BANANAS?!?!

8. Laura
    posted on Sep 30, 2011 at 11:08 AM  |  reply

AQUAMELON! I ate half of one for breakfast 🙂

• Julie Carpenter
      posted on Sep 30, 2011 at 12:04 PM  |  reply

@Laura, what is an aquamelon?

9. posted on Sep 30, 2011 at 11:48 AM  |  reply

My top fave fruits include:
    1. Strawberries. Preferably fresh and in season. Just picked. You know, when they are the best. I can down a quart in like 10 min, and sometimes i don’t even pop the tops off. Everyone can use a little ruffage right?
    2. Blackberries. Delicious and so good for you. Plus they are just pretty.
    3. Bananas. I agree, not the best for you, but so easy and add some peanut butter and they are a good snack. Bananas and strawberries? Yes please!
    4. Watermelon. Oh my gosh i could eat this non stop. I could probably eat just a whole watermelon for lunch. It’s so refreshing. Seedless please.
    5. Pomegranate. Expensive, yes, but seriously good. I love them, even with the hard work it takes to eat them, it’s worth it. 🙂

10. posted on Sep 30, 2011 at 11:53 AM  |  reply

1. Bing Cherries are my favorite! I used to climb the tree in my grandma’s yard and eat till I couldn’t fit anymore in.

2. Strawberries – they are yummy and go well with oranges in smoothies too.

3. Oranges – I like them just about anyway you want to serve them.

4. Blue berries – yum!

5 – Green Granny Smith apples – don’t give me those soft sweet things. Granny Smiths are the best. I like eating them by themselves or in my grandma’s Apple salad made with marshmallows, peanuts, celery seed and a cooked sauce.

Kiwi fruit comes in honorable mention but I don’t get it much so I didn’t think of it till now. 🙂

11. Julie Carpenter
    posted on Sep 30, 2011 at 12:08 PM  |  reply

Bing Cherries
    Blueberries
    Oranges
    Gala Apples
    Grapefruit

During the holidays I peel, slice and seed a bag of grapefruit and a bag of oranges and put together along with juice in a bowl with just a little bit of sweetener. In the past I used SUGAR, but now I would have to use Stevia or nothing at all.

12. Andrea
    posted on Sep 30, 2011 at 12:13 PM  |  reply

My list is a little different.

1. Cantaloupe (when not tainted!!) is my absolute favorite favorite. It’s one of those ‘I can eat it all in one sitting’ things for me!! Slice it open, take out the seeds, grab a spoon and dig in. I pretend I’m eating a bowl of cereal so I don’t feel so bad.

2. Peaches. ‘Moving to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches!”

3. Pineapple- although I’m the worlds worst at attempting to cut it myself, I still love the juicified, sloppified taste. Not to mention the juice mixed with malibu rum is delicious…

4. Mandarin oranges- chilled. Pretty sure I can live off if these. Can’t gave a fruit salad without

5. plums- love.

13. posted on Sep 30, 2011 at 12:48 PM  |  reply

{1} Apples! I love them all, really, except for red delicious.

{2} Nectarines

{3} Seedless watermelon

{4} Seedless grapes (green or purple!)

{5} Bananas
    Now I feel the need to head to Trader Joe’s, ha!

14. Jay LeCroy
    posted on Sep 30, 2011 at 1:07 PM  |  reply

These are in no particular order, but I must say it is awesome having a two year old in the house because there is always fruit now
    Peaches
    Blueberries
    Grapes
    Bananas
    Strawberries

15. posted on Sep 30, 2011 at 1:37 PM  |  reply

I had to google bacon roll. Interesting, doesn’t it seem like they are missing something?
    I always thought banana’s were good for you? I hate bananas though, except in “ice cream” form with peanut butter

1. Strawberries- love them!
    2. Peaches- especially grilled
    3. Pineapple
    4. Watermelon
    5. Lemons

16. posted on Sep 30, 2011 at 2:15 PM  |  reply

1. Strawberries
    2. Peaches
    3. Melons, any and all kinds
    4. Cherries
    5. Blueberries

I like bananas if I’m eating them fresh in Ecuador or Thailand. Those bananas changed my life and I haven’t been able to eat the bananas here since. It was like a banana revolution.

17. posted on Sep 30, 2011 at 4:34 PM  |  reply

Hmmmm…I’d have to say
    1. Pineapple
    2. Watermelon
    3. Strawberries
    4. Mangoes
    5. Kiwi

Fruit is my favorite food group ever!

18. posted on Sep 30, 2011 at 10:02 PM  |  reply

Mmm, fruit is so tasty! It’s like a healthy dessert! My faves:

1. CLEMENTINES. Can’t get enough of ’em.
    2. Red grapes. I love green grapes, too, but red is my preference.
    3. Nectarines: It’s hard to find a really ripe, juicy one, but when I do, they are just the BEST.
    4. Pineapple. I like to think eating half a pineapple helped me go into labor, so I’m a fan. 🙂
    5. Strawberries.

19. Bekah
    posted on Oct 02, 2011 at 10:17 PM  |  reply

I so love fruit! And anything fruity…so this post is grand.

1) Peaches