If you are single, buy this book.

on January 5, 2012 in I heart books. with 12 comments by

It’s been a central conversation piece in about a zillion conversations in the last three weeks or so. It seems that every time a girl and I start to chat, the topic of dating arises and this book makes us gab for twenty extra minutes.

Because every has read it / is reading it / needs to read it.

It is so good, y’all. So so good.

How to Get a Date Worth Keeping

If you are single, you need to buy this book. Buy 2 copies and lovingly give one to another single friend. Y’all read it together and talk about it. Unless you are a girl and you give it to a dude. Just leave him be. Don’t make him discuss it. But this book is for guys and girls, so you can give it away to any singlet you know.

I could go on for 25 paragraphs about how this book is affecting how I think and act and look at dating. And so many of my friends would tell you the same. Even last night at dinner, I went on and on, saying, “you guys! He is right and we’ve been wrong! I’VE been wrong!” and then we all sit in wonder over some of his ideas and thoughts.

That’s all I’m gonna say about it. Go buy it. Read it. Do what he says. And then tell me what you think.

[Caveats galore: I do not know Henry Cloud, the author…. yet, at least. 🙂 He has not asked me to blog about this or read this book. He is not paying me in any way to promote this book. I am just 100% convinced that HE IS RIGHT and that Christian singles need to read this book. Also, I’m not in 100% agreement with everything he says, so don’t get all “I can’t believe Annie agrees with that” on me. Okay? Okay.]

. . . . .

Has anyone already read How to Get a Date Worth Keeping? Did you like it? Why or why not?

1. MCH
    posted on Jan 05, 2012 at 4:55 AM  |  reply

Well, my church gives a course on this book. It is very affective and there is always a huge waiting list for this course. I recently joined this singles team and get much joy and energy from it. The way this book talks about dating and ourselves in dating is new and affective. Not easy but good! So yes, go get it!!

2. posted on Jan 05, 2012 at 8:17 AM  |  reply

Cloud’s book “Boundaries” that he co-wrote with John Townsend has been around for 20 years and should be another must-read for single and non-single alike.

3. posted on Jan 05, 2012 at 8:28 AM  |  reply

ok, ok…I’ll buy it.

4. Sarah
    posted on Jan 05, 2012 at 1:22 PM  |  reply

why isn’t it available on kindle?!?! how’s a girl in africa suppose to buy it?

5. posted on Jan 06, 2012 at 9:43 AM  |  reply

I bought it the other day because I saw so much about it in the comments of your (in)courage post last week. I started it last night and read more of it this morning. I’m still in the warnings chapters but I’m excited and scared all at once. Thanks for recommending it!

6. posted on Jan 06, 2012 at 3:05 PM  |  reply

I would go as far to say if you are single or dating, buy and read it. It’s got so many great nugglets (yes, nugglets) of truth. Love it!

7. posted on Jan 06, 2012 at 8:20 PM  |  reply

I read it about a year ago and though I haven’t gotten a date worth keeping yet, I’m glad I read it. I have done things I never would have done before. I joined a triathlon club, I changed churches, which I had needed to do for a while, I’ve met a lot of people who I wouldn’t have before, and my life is fuller and richer because of it.

8. Andrea
    posted on Jan 08, 2012 at 12:04 PM  |  reply

Can I borrow it? Just mail it to me? And then I mail it to another ‘singlette’ and so on? Kinda like the traveling pants of the sisterhood (or whatever that book is called) or a flat-stanley.
    Just kidding about all this. I’m gonna give it a try…

9. posted on Jan 08, 2012 at 3:54 PM  |  reply

Just requested it from the library. I’m not sure I’ll be up to the task but I will certainly read it.

10. Jen
    posted on Jan 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM  |  reply

I bought it, and I’m reading it, and I agree with you, apparently I’ve been doing this all wrong. As have all of my other single girl friends. Maybe we could set up a city swap? All over the country, single Christian gals could introduce other single Christian gals from another city, to all the great single Christian guys they know from their own city, but that they aren’t themselves dating. Like a Christian dating referral service, b/c the guys would all be “pre-screened”, to ensure none of them are psycho-stalkers, but they would still be blind dates. It would be a great way to expand our circles & get to our 5 new guys a week goal!!! Thanks for the book suggestion! Loving it so far!

• Annie
      posted on Jan 10, 2012 at 12:55 PM  |  reply

That’s a million dollar idea.

Make it happen.

11. posted on Jan 15, 2012 at 3:13 PM  |  reply

Just finished reading it — deep and convicting. I have to admit, if I read this book a year ago I don’t think I would have had an open heart to hear what he had to say.

It’s tempting to jump right into his “plan”, but I realized reading the last part that I’ve got a tad bit of heart work to do first.

Definitely worth the read!