I haven’t forgotten.

on January 11, 2012 in AnnieWrites, Dreams Coming True with 21 comments by

Part 1. I haven’t forgotten that I have a blog. I promise.

Part 2. I haven’t forgotten the things you said to me on December 9, 2010.

I like to go back and read that blog post. I like to think about all the things that you want to do with your life. I like to wonder if you have made a move in the direction of that dream. Or I wonder if sometimes you remember what you wrote.

It was a simple question…

Be brave.

Just say it.

My dream is __________________.

. . . . .

And it is amazing to read the comments and see the ones that have come to pass. Like Jessica.

Yep. That’s the same girl you see in my picture taken in downtown Prague. She did it. She moved there.

. . . . .

And look at Jamie.

Now she has a booth at the Tennessee Antique Mall. Amazing, yeah?

And I just have to wonder about the other 85 commenters. Have they stepped towards that dream?

. . . . .

I had a birthday in 2006.

My family and I went to one of my favorite restaurants. I ordered grilled chicken and the most delicious macaroni and cheese that I’ve ever tasted. [The restaurant has since closed and I mourn that.]

My dad passed over a card. Inside was a small sum of money and a handwritten note. On the note he said, “I hope this helps you step towards your dream of being an author.”

And it did. And I did. And here we are.

. . . . .

Last week I went to my storage unit. [Yes, I’m still mildly homeless. No biggie.] I was looking for a dress that I never found. But I did find one thing I was really looking for. That note from my dad that is displayed in a simple black frame.

I’m stepping again. I’ll tell you all about it soon. But I’m taking some big steps towards some new dreams and I wanted to put that letter on my desk again. I wanted to remember that no matter what, Mama and Daddy took the first step for me. No step is scary when you have those kind of people stepping with you.

I’m making new dreams. Stepping into old dreams. And somehow, releasing those dreams that I have completed… though I don’t know what that looks like yet.

. . . . .

So I think of you.

Are you stepping towards the dream you were brave enough to confess a year ago?

Do you have new dreams that you are ready to proclaim to this corner of the internet?

Update me.

Tell me new dreams.

Tell me that you haven’t forgotten.

1. posted on Jan 11, 2012 at 4:55 PM  |  reply

oh annie, God is so good! thank you for reminding me that even though i’m completely worn out from basically working 2 jobs, i am living my dream and answered prayer.

i am so excited to see what He has in store for you as you step toward new things!

2. posted on Jan 11, 2012 at 5:06 PM  |  reply

My dream over the next year or two is to go to University to study primary teaching. Once i am finished my four year course I want to work in Scotland for one year then venture out to another country, perhaps than doesn’t speak english and teach there, i would love to experience other cultures and i’d love to travel. Most of all my dream is to live each day for Jesus and glorify Him in all my decisions 🙂

3. posted on Jan 11, 2012 at 5:26 PM  |  reply

Even though I didn’t start my own sewing business I still help with one. It’s growing, I’m contributing and I’m loving it.

New dreams? Something involving serving with a crisis pregnancy center.

4. posted on Jan 11, 2012 at 5:35 PM  |  reply

Oh I love that post even though I must have missed it last year though given the state of my heart around that time maybe it’s one of those God wanted to let me see it this time around again when I’m a little bit more open to dreaming =)

As for dreams, I love seeing the ones that God has brought and is bringing about–I’ve always wanted a big dog of my own and in 9 days I’m getting one! And I’ve longed for a place to call “home” while I’m stateside and I’m saying a tentative “home?” right now which is a start.

And other dreams…I dream of Africa and of helping babies and kiddos and teens and counseling and ministry and writing and speaking and yet trying to hold them all loosely so that God can show me just how He wants them to play out rather than filling in my details.

5. posted on Jan 11, 2012 at 5:49 PM  |  reply

i had completely forgotten my dreams, so i went to your old post and was like “i bet i didn’t write anything,” but actually i did. nowhere closer to realizing those dreams.

right now i have one big dream. i’m about to start leading an art ministry for youth at my new church. i’m not really an artist – more just a creative mind. but i really think there’s a lot of good in young people knowing how to creatively express themselves. so i’m really nervous/excited about it. the past two summers i’ve run the craft house at our summer camp so i feel kind of prepared for it.

i don’t have a specific dream towards it, because i don’t want to create expectations without keeping the kids’ in mind. i just want to learn and develop more myself and help the youth of my church do that as well.

6. posted on Jan 11, 2012 at 6:04 PM  |  reply

Hm…I think my dream is, in this new season of life here in Nashville, to actually dream some dreams. I don’t know if I have any anymore, at least I think somehow in the flurry of the last 3 years I’ve lost a lot of them.

7. posted on Jan 11, 2012 at 6:35 PM  |  reply

My dream is to raise children free from the generational curses that wounded my husband and I. Specifically, I want my children to know they are loved unconditionally and that they are worthy of love.

This encompasses many smaller, yet equally challenging dreams: being debt free and financially responsible, finding and living in community, eating good food, and living generously.

This year, our word is healing. 2011 brought a lot of unexpected pain, and we’re hoping to heal those wounds in the coming weeks and months.

8. Russanna
    posted on Jan 11, 2012 at 6:53 PM  |  reply

Love this! Two years ago at a Bible study, I was asked this same question. My answer was that my husband and I would soon pursue adoption. We knew we were called to adopt but didn’t know exactly how. Fast forward to now and we are pursuing adoption through the foster care system. We’ll find out in May if we’ll be able to adopt our sweet five year old. Even if he is not a permanent part of our lives, we will keep opening our home to kids who need hope and healing!

9. posted on Jan 11, 2012 at 7:39 PM  |  reply

I love this!! I always say “become your dream!”

I have many dreams. I dream of moving back to Nashville. I dream of going to Uganda to visit my brother Tony (that I never would have met if not for you!). I dream of working in some kind of place where I could help other people realize how amazing life is and that what you eat, what you do, and how you choose to live really can make a world of difference! I dream of going back to Ireland…and taking my mom because it’s her favorite place on earth.

Those and so many other things!

And you know the great thing? I know these dreams will all come true! Because that is the story that I am telling and that is the story I will live.

Life is freaking amazing.

Become your dream Annie, whatever it may be!

10. posted on Jan 11, 2012 at 9:10 PM  |  reply

Annie 🙂 I had to re- read the post from a year ago and I remember it.  I wondered if I had the courage then to post my dreams. I know i debated posting but i also have a pretty good idea of what I would have posted.  So I scrolled through the comments and I did have the courage!

I remember those dreams and I’m happy to say I’m stepping towards them…
    I’m learning to write and writing a book. I’ve been praying this year I’ll finish it  and have ability and courage to go to a conference this fall.

My relationship with the Lord always has room for improvement.

I’ve also found a great dr who has found some things my other dr’s didn’t, so I have more hope for my health than I before!

Getting stronger is my main focus right now but the potential  better health is making room for new dreams to be born and like you, they scare me too.  I’m working on it and open to pursuing new dreams too!

Thanks for bringing this back up!

11. posted on Jan 11, 2012 at 9:12 PM  |  reply

I’m in Canada… this was a later dream than the December 2010 question, but one that I have shared at some point on your blog. I’m far away from home, but excited for the year ahead! eek! (I am also colder than I have ever been)

12. Kristi
    posted on Jan 11, 2012 at 10:05 PM  |  reply

Wow, I hadn’t even thought of that blog and my comment in a LONG time. The State Rep. dream isn’t dead yet; it’s just not happening any time soon. God has made it very clear that isn’t the path He intends for me right now. I am, however, just starting the journey toward motherhood through adoption. The irony? I thought that dream was long ago dead and that’s why the State Rep. thing started in the first place. It’s amazing the sense of humor God has. So, that’s my dream today. Perhaps I can have it all. In His way. In His time. Thanks for encouraging my dreaming.

13. posted on Jan 11, 2012 at 11:15 PM  |  reply

I have had your post open for a while…staring at it, thinking about what my dream should be or what my unspoken dreams really are. You know…those dreams that you are afraid to say out loud because you are afraid others will laugh or you will come off as cheesy. Or if you say it out loud it won’t happen.

But this year, an impossible thing has come true…something that I used to dream about did happen. I became a runner….I changed my life. So now when I think about the dreams that I am afraid aloud, I think about what has come true and my secret dream doesn’t seem so impossible.

My dream is to be able to buy a book from a bookstore that has my name on the cover!

Thanks for the encouragment!

14. ~VA~
    posted on Jan 12, 2012 at 6:46 AM  |  reply

Well, I think my dream last year was to not be tempted by self-injury…it’s been 1006 days since I last hurt myself, but honestly I still do struggle with the temptation. Although I would still love for that dream to come true, a new dream is that I would be able to talk on the phone without feeling like I was going to throw up…(I have social anxiety, and the very worst thing for me is talking on the phone…so this might be another overly lofty goal)

15. Erin
    posted on Jan 12, 2012 at 7:56 AM  |  reply

Thanks for the reminder, Annie. I went back and looked at that post because I had shared with you (and whoever else happened upon that post) that my dream was to be a stay-at-home mom. At the time, I was only dreaming of and praying for a child, and now I’m preparing for the arrival of our little one! I don’t know if the stay-at-home part will happen just yet, but I’m so excited that I’m one step closer to the dream becoming reality.

16. posted on Jan 12, 2012 at 1:21 PM  |  reply

Annie, I’m so excited to see where God is leading you. He is good and faithful all the time! I can’t wait to hear where you’re going, I know you’ll be great.

It’s funny to look back. My dream changed a bit, but it’s moving in that direction. I want to work in children’s ministry and be a mommy! We’re working toward that. It’s not time right now, but it will be soon. I’m so excited!

17. posted on Jan 12, 2012 at 1:35 PM  |  reply

Whoa. I had completely forgotten about this. I didn’t even know if I commented but I had. I wrote: “My dream is to write a book that people will enjoy reading.”

When I wrote that, I had no idea of the events that would transpire this past year. I did indeed write a novel and my test readers have thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I can hardly absorb their positive feedback!

My new dream is for an agent and publisher to enjoy it as much as my friends and offer me a contract.

P.S. I can’t wait to hear about your news!

18. rebecca
    posted on Jan 12, 2012 at 3:25 PM  |  reply

My dream is to work at Camp WinShape.

19. Sarah
    posted on Jan 12, 2012 at 8:10 PM  |  reply

My dream is something I– no, with God all things are possible, so I won’t say that it’s IMpassible.
    I want to live in peace. All the time. Banish the anxiety that plauges me and live in abondon to our King. It’s possible.
    I also want to write books and words that people read and that fill them with hope. Show them that God can and WILL find us in the darkness. It will be fiction, and that’s a dream I’ve had since I was 14 or so.
    And I just want to say to VA that the courage to even submit that, what you wrote, is awesome. I’m glad you did. Now I don’t feel so alone. :-} Thank you.

20. posted on Jan 13, 2012 at 2:54 PM  |  reply

My dream is to have a house full of children on whom I can shower love, while pointing them to Christ and His mighty redemptive work.

It doesn’t have to be a real house or even my house…it just needs to contain oodles of children/youth in need. We’ll see how God develops this! 🙂

21. posted on Jan 17, 2012 at 3:57 AM  |  reply

My Dream is to Publish My book by 2013 and Finish up My College. I have been praying for this since forever. This is such a good Post. It made me think!! God bless!