New tunes in ’12

on January 19, 2012 in Sounds good to me. with 8 comments by

One of my favorite things to do is share good music.

Not share in the “burn-me-a-CD” kind of way. People in this town do not look to kindly on that. I don’t want to get shunned in the streets.

Instead, I will list for you some new stuff I’m listening to and show you how to purchase that for yourself. Were you to choose to listen to it on Spotify or Rdio before you buy it, well… I have nothing to do with that. I’m not the boss of you.

This music isn’t all necessarily new in 2012, it’s just new to me in 2012. So there’s that.

[And let me say that I’m not sure 100% of these songs have 0% cuss words… I honestly can’t remember. So listen with some discernment, mainly because I don’t have time to word check every single song on these albums. Thank you and carry on.]

. . . . .

The Head And The Heart … I get to hear this band in March with my Besty Betsy and I am  happy about that. If they were a math equation, they would be

Mumford & Sons + a girl – a banjo + piano – keyboard

Because I’m a musical mathematician, that’s why.

. . . . .

Easy by Rascal Flatts … Sometimes a song says a thing perfectly, and I haven’t even broken up with anyone lately. I just like dramatically singing in my car. [You’re welcome.] Also, I LOVE Natasha Bedingfield’s part.

. . . . .

Give Us Rest by David Crowder Band … I absolutely love this band. So so much. This is their final album and they do not disappoint. Thirty four tracks? Cut it out.

. . . . .

Deluxe Companion by Mumford & Sons … Don’t roll your eyes at me. I know I already own the recorded album and I just purchased the live album. I am a sucker for all things Mumford. You know this. And the live album? Well. It’s different. Sorta. Ahem.

. . . . .

Amen by Eden’s Edge … Two weekends ago I was strutting through the airport and I could not get this song out of my head. Thanks to the magical technology of Anita iPhone and an iTunes gift card, I bought this song right there in the terminal. Oh 2012, you’re so cool.

Also, this is a great song. [I like country music. Sue me.]

. . . . .

Kopecky Family Band … I’m spending a little time spinning this beauty today since I’m going to their show tonight. Me thinks it will be a nice time. I haven’t been to a proper concert since returning from Scotland [except Christmas stuff], so it will be great to hear live music.

. . . . .

Reason To Sing by All Sons & Daughters … I dig this band. They work hard. They make great worship music. I think we’ll be singing their masterpieces for many years to come.

Fun fact. When I type “sons” into my iTunes, I get to listen to this album and then Mumford. Not mad about that.

. . . . .

All My Devotion by Kristene Mueller … welp. This worship song plays a few times a day in my life. It’ll ruin you [in a good way].

Take it all, take it all. Just give me Jesus.”

Phew… I want to mean that every time I sing it. So I’ll sing it until I do.

. . . . .

What are you listening to right now?

1. Andrea
    posted on Jan 19, 2012 at 1:01 PM  |  reply

In love with Florence and The Machine.
    Since you love country, which I do to and there is no shame in my game, you should check out some of the ‘Texas Country’ music. Yes, we have our own genre.
    1. Josh Abbott Band – ‘Oh, tonight’ being the main song to purchase 1st
    2. Anything Eli Young Band
    3. Anything Stoney LaRue
    4. Anything Pat Green
    5. Anything Randy Rogers Band
    6. Anything Cross Canadian Ragweed
    7. Anything Wade Bowen .

Hope you enjoy !!

2. posted on Jan 19, 2012 at 5:02 PM  |  reply

I, too, am in love with Florence. And her machine. I’m loving “Shake It Out” right now.

I’m also singing “We Are Young” by Fun at the top of my lungs, and rocking out in my car to Grouplove’s “Tongue Tied”.

Finally, rounding out the list is M83, Mraz’s new song, The Icicile Works, and Ryan Adams.

Go check out The Lennings’ cover of “You’re the One That I Want.” You won’t be sorry.

3. posted on Jan 19, 2012 at 6:54 PM  |  reply

I just found out about The Head and the Heart a month or so ago. LOVE! Are they coming here in March? I’m going to need to investigate.

I’ve been listening to Tara Leigh Cobble, Liz Longley, St. Vincent, and James Vincent McMorrow, always with a healthy dose of The Avett Brothers and Drew Holcomb & the Neighbors.

4. posted on Jan 19, 2012 at 11:51 PM  |  reply

Florence and the Machine
    David Crowder Band
    Kelly Clarkson (Stronger is a good anthem for me.
    Edward Sharp and The Magnetic Zeros
    The Civil Wars
    Mumford & Sons as well!! (give me a banjo any day)

I have a friend that is seeing The Head and The Heart and so I have been investigating them too!

Thanks for all the suggestions though! I love new music!

5. posted on Jan 20, 2012 at 8:24 AM  |  reply

Those are awesome! I’m totes loving All Sons and Daughters!
    Since you like Kristene Mueller, you should definitely check out Jesus Culture’s newest – Awakening.
    I believe Kristene is on that album as well….it’s amazing.

6. Anne
    posted on Jan 20, 2012 at 11:44 PM  |  reply

I’ve been getting into bluegrass over the last few months.. Punch Brothers (Nickel Creek’s Chris Thile plays in the band) have a new album coming out on Valentine’s Day. Crooked Still is also a great band to check out if you’re interested in bluegrass.

I’m also excited for the new Ingrid Michaelson album.

7. posted on Jan 21, 2012 at 4:44 PM  |  reply

I am obsessed with Taylor Swift. I listen to her at least one a day (including right now). I also love the song “Easy” by Rascal Flatts. And anything by Lady Antebellum is awesome.

8. Sarah
    posted on Jan 22, 2012 at 6:37 AM  |  reply

I’ve obsessed with the songs “we belong here” and “my favorite place” by Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers lately. The thought of belonging somewhere and having home be wherever certain people are is a comforting thought for me right now. Also this morning I was introduced to a song called emmylou by first aid kit. There is something sweet about the chorus that makes me love the song.