The time has come.

on March 20, 2012 in AnnieSpeaks, Ze Bloggy Goodness with 21 comments by

For a haircut.

It started with this question [the red one] during the Q&A session at the retreat where I spoke last weekend….

I know. Hilarious. [Trust me. There were a lot of serious hard-hitting make-you-take-a-deep-breath kind of questions too. I didn’t photograph those. I prayed over those.]

Here’s how I answered “Has your hair always been that long?”:

1. No, my hair has not always been this long.
  2. Here’s how hair works: it grows, you cut it, it grows again. And repeat.
  3. I think I hear what you are actually trying to say- “Annie. You have too much hair.”

I told the girls from the retreat that I would get a haircut.

And then I got home and saw this picture on facebook.

I mean, whoa y’all. Sister has got a lot of hair. It’s long. I don’t usually see this view of my hair because, you know, it’s hanging down my back where I do not have eyes.

But I had a revelation seeing this picture yesterday.

That’s too much hair for me.

So.

I’m getting it cut tomorrow and I want you to help me decide what to do!

Rule #1: No bangs. The summer is coming and they will just be a grease collection zone.

Rule #2: I don’t color my hair.

. . . . .

Here’s one example of what I like: long layers. With summer around the bend, I want my hair to feel light. Right now it is like having a lion pelt on my head.

Here’s another thing I like: everything about this. The natural curl, the length, all of it. My hair does not curl pretty like that. It has a weak wave in it that kinda gets more weird and less pretty.

[I know. Congrats to me.]

But gracious I think this hair is gorgeous. If my hair would look like this every day, I would be in a continual state of crying with happy.

Do you have more ideas or pictures of awesome long hair cuts?

By the way. I’m not doing this. Not ever. No siree, bob. [Literally.]

. . . . .

Your thoughts?

1. posted on Mar 20, 2012 at 6:06 AM  |  reply

Your hair looks thick and luxurious. If it’s as thick as it looks I would be sure to have them thin it. A cute cut doesn’t always work well on thick hair. A pair of thinning shears will do wonders. Ask me how I know these things. ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. posted on Mar 20, 2012 at 6:49 AM  |  reply

I vote the first one(: It’s a very flattering length with chin length layers and face framing which would help you get a lot of that weight out. It would require you taking several inches off, but you have a pretty face. Draw attention to it! =D

3. posted on Mar 20, 2012 at 7:06 AM  |  reply

I’m excited! Can’t wait to see it!

4. Melissa
    posted on Mar 20, 2012 at 7:46 AM  |  reply

I have very thick, wavy/curly hair that looks a lot like yours – recommendations:
    1. Make sure your stylist understands your hair type
    2. DON”T let them give you layers shorter than your ears.
    3. As you said, no matter what you think, don’t get it cut short. I made that mistake when pregnant with my 2nd child and cried for the remaining 4 months of pregnancy. Then I was too busy to care what I looked like.

5. posted on Mar 20, 2012 at 9:26 AM  |  reply

What about something like this?

Would you maybe consider longish sideswept bangs? And I think the layers would work really well in your hair. The extreme difference in layers in that first pic make me a bit nervous…

6. Katie
    posted on Mar 20, 2012 at 9:27 AM  |  reply

I just got my hair cut shorter than it’s ever been (above the shoulders) and I love it, even though I thought I’d hate it…I love the second one though. When in doubt, always choose side bangs. Plus, that girl is wearing sequins. That should help you decide.

7. posted on Mar 20, 2012 at 9:32 AM  |  reply

Haircuts are one of my favorite things. I’m currently growing out my hair (it went from bob to pixie with one misunderstood conversation with my hairdresser and then got worse with each trim. Time to start over), so I can’t wait until it gets long enough to have a “style” again.
    I also have that weird wave in my hair (both my parents and my sis have curly hair. It’s dominate. Thanks, one grandparent on each side.), so I would say to be cautious with layers. I don’t know how your wave works, but mine makes one side flip out and one flip under. Layers mean one side perfect, one side Farrah Fawcett if they’re not cut right. Make sure your hair person knows about the wave!

8. posted on Mar 20, 2012 at 9:47 AM  |  reply

your hair looks a lot like mine….I’ve learned over time that I do not want to spend any time at all fixing my hair. No curling, no flat ironing, nothing but blowdrying. So long and {mostly} one length looks the best every day. (I have a few graduated layers in the front around my face).

So all that talking about my hair to just suggest you make sure you know what the upkeep will be on any cut — does it require curling, primping, etc every.day to make it look right – and if so, are you willing to take that on? or can you run out with it wet or only blow dried?

Just my two cents…..

9. posted on Mar 20, 2012 at 10:47 AM  |  reply

My two cents, Miss Annie.
    1. Taking a picture into your stylist is fine. However, as soon as you and your stylist talk about your hair, get that picture out of your head. Your stylist will get your look as close as she can to the pic but everyone’s hair is different and it may not look like the picture. Take in the picture but don’t expect it to look exactly like the pic when all is done.
    2)Products. Products from the salon, not a box store. Salon products really save money in the long run b/c they are concentrated. Products help my thick w/wave hair.
    3) The hair stylist should personalize your hair. Tell her/him what you do or don’t like about your hair. If it flips out here and has wings, if you have this annoying cowlick thing going on etc. My bangs spring up when dry. But are long when wet. Let him/her know that kind of stuff. And, that you don’t want it short!! Show him/her what length. And stylist show follow up with ‘so you want it to here’. Your 2 inches and his/her two inches may be different.
    4) Listen to the styist. They are professionals and most are good at saying if a style or look will look good on you.
    5) Listen to Sarah above (2nd commment) she is a cosmotologist now. ๐Ÿ™‚ My other daughter has thick, thick wavy hair and Sarah gave her a style and personalized it to make it work for her. Looks great.
    6) I think that was my six cents. ๐Ÿ™‚
    7) I agree with Sarah, you are beautiful. ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Kim
    posted on Mar 20, 2012 at 10:49 AM  |  reply

I was talking to my sister about a new hairstyle and she suggested I go to her friend stylist and made an appointment for me. I walk into this new place and a lady says “You must be Kim.” I said “How did you know?” She said “Your sister brought this in earlier” and holds up a picture with my face and a hairstyle my sister had selected from a virtual makeover site. Worked for me.

11. posted on Mar 20, 2012 at 12:22 PM  |  reply

I like the first one. I think it will look great and will frame your face. I have longish hair, but like to have it styled when I am in the States so it is just above my shoulders. You might like that, but if you want to try it just go shorter a little bit at a time to see if you like it or not. That is what I did several years ago.

I let my hair grow longer here in Kenya so I can put it up in a non-fashionable pony tail to get it off my neck in the heat. I even pull it through the scrunchie part way so it doesn’t even hang down in the way. All to try to be a little cooler :).

12. Face
    posted on Mar 20, 2012 at 1:21 PM  |  reply

You don’t color it???
    Every time I’ve seen you in the last 5yrs or so, I’ve thought, “Annie’s hair looks great. She’s such an adult now. I need to embrace more adult things like her.” So kudos to you for tricking me into growing up.

13. posted on Mar 20, 2012 at 4:58 PM  |  reply

I think you have pretty hair. Measure where 9 inches would be and see if you would be willing to donate it.
    If not then go with Sandra’s hair. You can do the flippy out thing with the flat iron. I love the cut by the way.

14. posted on Mar 20, 2012 at 5:41 PM  |  reply

Your hair is so beautiful . . . I wouldn’t cut it if I were you.

Signed,
    Totally Not Helpful

15. Btc/Fm
    posted on Mar 20, 2012 at 8:28 PM  |  reply

Can you have them save some hair thats cut so I could use it on top of my head?

16. posted on Mar 21, 2012 at 7:53 AM  |  reply

Will you donate it??? Not only is there Locks of Love, but Pantene also has a program. My daughter has donated to the Pantene program twice. It takes 8 inches compared to the 10 for Locks of Love.

And yes, we need a picture when it’s all done!!

17. posted on Mar 21, 2012 at 10:57 AM  |  reply

My hair also does this weird half wave half straight nightmare of a style… but I have this awesome stuff that my stylist Laura turned me on to. It’s a miracle worker as far as waves go ๐Ÿ™‚ http://dft.ba/-2a0O

18. Maryden25
    posted on Mar 21, 2012 at 9:39 PM  |  reply

Hi Annie!
    I like the hair style on the second photo rather of that Sandra Bullock’s style. But if you ask me, because it’s now summer, I recommend more shorter hair (that’s what i’m planning with my hair too). Do you remember Demi Moore’s haircut in ghost? That one!

19. Born25
    posted on Mar 27, 2012 at 8:28 PM  |  reply

I love the second one. I think that’s would look nice for summer. Little waves, some sunglass, sunblock, bikini, and a pretty good island. Right? be what you are and don’t mind what people say. if they love you. they accept every inch of you.

20. Theriz26
    posted on Mar 27, 2012 at 9:18 PM  |  reply

Hi Anne! prefer the Sandra’s hair style. I Canโ€™t wait to see it. I’m looking forward on your next post!