Guest post: God knows what He is doing.

on June 5, 2012 in YouBlog with 11 comments by

A few weeks ago, I got an email from Lauren. Lauren started telling me her story, and how a post I wrote about my dear little Shelby had come at a great time in her life, and how God had shown up for her and her family. I cried as I read her email. And then I begged her to write up the whole story for you. Be encouraged today, friends. God is for us.

. . . . .

I always hoped my life would go a certain way. I expected it. I pictured it. Silly me.

A few years ago the husband and I started on a journey that, at times, we didn’t want to be on. We hoped for something different. God had other plans.

We always hoped for children. Which is why we were pleasantly surprised to find out we were expecting a few years ago. That joy soon turned to tears when we experienced a loss to miscarriage a couple months later. It was more than we thought we could handle, but God thought otherwise because about a year later we experienced another loss. Family and friends tried to reassure and comfort us. Doctors kept telling us it was just statistics. But it was still hard to understand why it was all happening. There were waves of emotions. There were many prayers and tears, often at the same time. Times we just wanted to give up hope.

But here is where the story gets better. I came home one evening and my husband was just hanging up the phone. There was this girl and it wasn’t the right time, she didn’t have the means, she couldn’t raise this child….We always talked about adoption. But we could never have guessed how or when it would happen.

We found out about him in January. He was born in February. We had one month to prepare everything for this baby to come into our home but we had been ready for years. There was never any doubt in our minds that he was meant to be in our family.

And here is where the story gets better. Our son wasn’t alive five days, he wasn’t in our home 48 hours, when we found out we were expecting. Eight months later our daughter was born. I used to work a 9-5 sitting behind a desk in front of a computer. Now I spend all my days feeding, burping, changing, holding, hugging, kissing, playing with, reading to, soothing a 6 month old and a 14 month old. And its amazing.

[Note from Annie: Um, how beyond cute are THEY? Totes adorbs.]

A lot of times we don’t get to understand the why in God’s plan for our life. When we look at our family now, we can’t imagine it any other way. Our son was meant to be in this family. Our daughter was meant to be his younger sister. If we didn’t experience the heartbreaks, things might be different. We are glad they aren’t. Now I have this amazing story to tell my kids. A story of hope and God’s faithfulness and how He used us and humbled us and blessed us with the two of them.

. . . . .

I’m so grateful for readers like Lauren who take time to email and share what God is doing in their lives. We overcome by the power of Jesus’ blood AND the word of our testimonies (Rev. 12:11). I am encouraged today. I hope you are too.

Amen?

Amen.

1. posted on Jun 05, 2012 at 6:19 AM  |  reply

I love that you shared this. Such a sweet story. God’s plans are so amazing. I have an aunt and uncle who had cancelled an adoption when they found out they were pregnant. They then miscarried. They applied again and got pregnant again. This time they went through with the adoption and had a baby all within 4 weeks! They called them twins born a month apart. Confused everyone.

2. posted on Jun 05, 2012 at 6:36 AM  |  reply

Crying! So encouraged and blessed by this. Thank you for sharing, Lauren!

3. KR
    posted on Jun 05, 2012 at 9:18 AM  |  reply

Thank you, Lauren and Annie. I know several people with that EXACT story, whose testimony is exactly the same…..if it weren’t for that heartache, we wouldn’t have these children. I have a similar story, but not due to miscarriage. My first husband up and left me out of the blue and had it not been for that heartache and the my-world-and-my-plans-just-got-thrown-into-the-blender experience, I would not have been in the place to meet the love of my life, and I would certainly not have the 3 little people He blessed us with. I am thankful daily for that heartache. God turns ruins into treasure. We are all proof of that.

4. posted on Jun 05, 2012 at 9:43 AM  |  reply

God is good, drawing us ever nearer.

5. Dana
    posted on Jun 05, 2012 at 12:59 PM  |  reply

Wonderful story. My husband and I have tried to concieve for 8 years. I have never been pregnant. We are an adoptive family. My 3 kids are an amazing blessing and our oldest son was adopted before we even knew we would struggle with infertility. I wouldn’t trade the journey God chose for my family but I’m still hoping that the experience of pregnancy is in His plan for me. There is so much grief and loss that comes with infertility. I’m still working through it and hopeful that God hasn’t forgotten the deep desire in my heart to experience what it’s like to carry and give birth to a child.

• posted on Jun 05, 2012 at 3:30 PM  |  reply

i hope God grants you the desires of your heart in experiencing a pregnancy for yourself. meanwhile, love on those adoptive children and be thankful to the parents (and grandparents) who choose you and your husband to nurture and grow them into strong individuals. what a blessing adoption is.

• Dana
        posted on Jun 06, 2012 at 6:27 PM  |  reply

Thank you Sandi. I am thankful for them everyday. Even though our situation is different and were not chosen by the parents/grandparents, (but by the state) we are thankful for their bio parents who gave them life! I agree that adoption is a blessing and it is one that I do not take for granted.

6. posted on Jun 05, 2012 at 3:27 PM  |  reply

waiting for us in heaven are two sweet babies. after struggling for years with infertility we were able for form our family with medical intervention (ivf). we are blessed with three children and praise God for his plan. it was not our desire to walk that path, but for whatever reason that was His.

…everything works out according to His plan… (ephesians 1:11)

…surely, just as i have intended so it has happened, and just as i have planned so it will stand… (isaiah 14:24)

7. posted on Jun 05, 2012 at 10:29 PM  |  reply

As a single-never married girl, this is a tough story for me.

8. Lauren
    posted on Jun 06, 2012 at 8:26 AM  |  reply

Thank you all, and Annie, for letting me write a guest post. This is the first time I’ve shared this story to an audience outside a limited few. The one thing I will take from this is that I’m not alone. All your comments are encouraging. Everyone has a story similar to mine. A story of loss and heartbreak. But I do believe that we will also have that story of hope and confidence that God does know what He is doing. One of my favorite quotes is from Max Lucado – “Hope is not a granted wish or favor performed; no, its far greater than that. It is a zany, unpredictable dependence on God who loves to surprise us out of our socks.”
    Also, I know adoption is not for everyone for various reasons. But if you are thinking about it, I encourage you to go forth with it. It is an amazing experience for both you and the child. And it will change your life in ways you could never imagine.

9. posted on Jun 06, 2012 at 5:27 PM  |  reply

Wht an incredible story of faith. Thank you for shring this.