TOP 5 FRIDAY: Jog jams.

on August 17, 2012 in Sounds good to me., TOP 5 FRIDAY with 11 comments by

TOP 5 FRIDAY is when we each list five of our favorite things, depending on the topic. Feel free to join in via the comments or by posting on your own blog and linking back here. Play along. It’s Friday.

. . . . .

JOG JAMS! Like Jock Jams… get it? My younger sister used to practice her Jock Jam routines at dinner in high school. It made me insane. She’s quit now, so we get along fine.

Earlier this week, Leanna popped over to my facebook page and asked me to list my favorite Christian songs to listen to while running.

I just plain didn’t have the heart to tell her that what I do looks way more like a fast walk / slow jog, so I just agreed to write the post.

Here are my top 5 favorite Christian jogging songs!

. . . . .

1. Mat Kearney – Count On Me. No, this isn’t a Christian album, but he’s a Christian dude and his lyrics are always Annie-friendly. [Meaning, I can sign the song outloud in a bus full of teen girls and not have to bleep myself at all. That scenario has never happened, but it could.]

2. Joy Williams – Golden Thread. This is my absolute FAVORITE Joy Williams song, and that’s saying a lot because I love The Civil Wars. This isn’t the fastest beat, but it never fails to make me smile.

3. Group 1 Crew – Live It Up. So fun. Like, whoa fun. I told y’all I love them. Tis true. You could run to this whole album and have a blast. I mean, as much as you can “have a blast” while, you know, running.

4. Switchfoot – Hello Hurricane. To go to the other extreme from the hip-hop sound of Group 1 Crew, this is more of a rock song. Again, another full album that is good for motivating me to move.

5. Hillsong United – Desert Song. Killer lyrics. If you aren’t pumping your fists by the end of this song, you aren’t listening to the words.

You are probably, at this point, thinking the same thing I am thinking. My song choices are a sundry bunch to be certain. The other truth? I don’t only run to Christian music. But, for today’s topics, we stuck to the Christian artists.

I believe in full disclosure on Fridays.

Fine, it’s Thursday night and I’m about to go get on the bus.

QUIT ASKING THE HARD QUESTIONS AND MAKING ME TELL YOU THINGS YOU KNOW YOU DON’T REALLY WANT TO KNOW.

Happy Friday.

. . . . .

YOUR TURN!

What are your favorite Christian songs to listen to while you are exercising?

1. Leanna
    posted on Aug 17, 2012 at 9:05 AM  |  reply

thanks SO much Annie!!!
    I honestly don’t call what I do running either…I think I’m too slow but as long as we are out there doing it, I don’t think it matters what we speed we are going!

My current top 5 Christian ( I like you don’t do just Christian when running- but would like to add more in there).
    Mine are in no particular order….
    1. Stories by Superchick
    2. Rockstar by ThirdDay
    3.Showstopper by TobyMac
    4.Happy Day by TimHuges
    5. Live Like We’re Dying by Kris Allen

I know some of yours but not all so I’m really looking forward to checking them out!
    Thanks so much!!!

2. posted on Aug 17, 2012 at 11:57 AM  |  reply

Making this Christian songs is tough and this list is much more artists who are followers of Jesus who make music, versus Christian artists. But here:

1) Chaos by MuteMath
    2) Kountry Gentleman by Family Force 5 (I am sad this is on my list, but this song makes me run)
    3) All I Want by Future of Forestry
    4) You Waste Time Like A Grandfather Clock – The Myriad
    5) Gutter by Paper Route

3. posted on Aug 17, 2012 at 12:00 PM  |  reply

Obvious choice:

4. Marcie Burleson
    posted on Aug 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM  |  reply

When I actually DO get on my treadmill ;)…..here are some of the christian music choices I make as well. Obviously they are all at different parts of my walk from warm up to super fast (or super slow, depends on who’s watching) to cool down.

1. Move by Mercy Me
    2. Barlow Girl – Come Alive
    3. David Crowder – I saw the light (brings out the hillbilly in me πŸ™‚
    4. Mandisa – Good Morning
    5. Natalie Grant – Your Great Name

5. Valerie Hammond
    posted on Aug 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM  |  reply

I’ll be next to admit I don’t run to a lot of Christian music. If Girl Talk weren’t so helpful for getting uphill, here are what my top pics would be:

1 – Glory of Your Name by Watermark
    2 – Progress by Mutemath
    3 – Getaway Car by Toby Mac
    4 – Sing to the King by Billy & Cindy Foote
    5 – Stomp by Kirk Franklin

Also, Matt Lehman never ceases to be hilarious. Making M-dubs Smith proud.

6. posted on Aug 17, 2012 at 1:52 PM  |  reply

1. One Way Jesus-Hillsong
    2. Lose it All-Rush of Fools
    3. Say, Say-Kristian Stanfill
    4. All My Fountains-Chris Tomlin
    5. All For You-Mikeschair

πŸ™‚

7. posted on Aug 18, 2012 at 5:45 AM  |  reply

I’m glad you posted this! I have ZERO Christian songs in my line up! Now I have help πŸ™‚ Currently I’m pumping some Miley Cyrus, Party in the USA; Call Me Maybe, Katy Perry, Part of Me; Tonight by some random fella and Oh! Grits, they’re Christian! Woop! Woop!

8. posted on Aug 18, 2012 at 5:45 AM  |  reply

9. posted on Aug 18, 2012 at 9:49 AM  |  reply

You’re welcome. If it weren’t for my love of Jock Jams you wouldn’t have this clever blog title.

And we all know I don’t do anything “athletic” so I have nothing to contribute here. Unless you’d like another routine.

10. Beth