What writers do.

on December 17, 2012 in School dayz with 18 comments by

I remember a time when my heart was broken.

I sat down and my computer and I typed away like my next breath depended on it- it literally felt like I was underwater and the only way to kick to the surface was to let the words out. Pages and pages and pages flew as the tears poured and when I was done, I had somehow run a marathon emotionally as well as felt my heart be gently wrapped in a bandage that I could not see, but felt the coolness of it.

The hurt didn’t go away, but there is some sort of healing for writers when we write.

My family and I went to the Ryman last night for Andrew Peterson’s Behold The Lamb of God show. It is truly a life-giving and life-changing experience every.single.time. One of the musicians, before beginning a song, said, “I wrote this for a friend, but in the last few days, it has helped me a ton.”

Songwriters do it, too. They write to help heal others and themselves.

But more than healing, there is a responsibility writers have, especially writers who talk openly about faith. It is this call to tell readers a story, truthfully, laced with the wisdom of the Holy Spirit, that moves them think about Jesus and maybe choose to be more like Him.

I feel that weight after Friday’s tragedy in Connecticut.

But after days of thinking about it and praying about what to say, I’m going to  limit my words. One sentence, and one sentence alone, kept pouring from my lips on Friday, through tears and shock and deep sadness.

“Please, Jesus, come back.”

Because He is our only hope. Jesus is our only hope, y’all.

As you peruse the internet and read people’s writings, I pray you will do so with grace and understanding that writers are just doing what they do – writing to heal, to share hope, and to somehow bring some cosmos to the chaos, as Madeleine L’Engle teaches.

Melanie and Ann have both done it beautifully, so I will send you there, with hopes that if you are looking for peace, God ministers that to you somehow through their words.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus.

1. posted on Dec 17, 2012 at 11:09 AM  |  reply

Yes. The same words kept coming to me. “Come, Lord Jesus, come”.

2. posted on Dec 17, 2012 at 11:50 AM  |  reply

Thank you for this. Heartfelt, straightforward… and, who can resist a good L’Engle reference? Again, thank you.

3. posted on Dec 17, 2012 at 12:14 PM  |  reply

Mmmm.

4. posted on Dec 17, 2012 at 12:55 PM  |  reply

[…] own healing comes through writing; it’s how I share my most personal emotions. I’ve seen many ugly things in my short […]

5. posted on Dec 17, 2012 at 1:05 PM  |  reply

Writers write to try to make sense of the pain–to try to mend those broken hearts!

6. posted on Dec 17, 2012 at 2:37 PM  |  reply

amen.

7. posted on Dec 17, 2012 at 2:37 PM  |  reply

Thank you for this. It is true. It seems like at some point every day I think to myself “Jesus, friend, I need you” but our world truly needs him now more than ever!

8. posted on Dec 17, 2012 at 3:28 PM  |  reply

I love you, dear friend. I love you.

9. Sarah
    posted on Dec 17, 2012 at 6:38 PM  |  reply

Everything said is beautiful. Thank you for this. Thank you.
    At times like this it is hard to see God, especially if we listen to the media. But you all really put it into perspective. They saw it’s about gun control and bla bla bla, but it’s not about gun control, it’s not about anything like that. It’s a heart issue, and a we-need-God issue.
    Come Lord Jesus come. Send revival to this land.

10. posted on Dec 17, 2012 at 7:17 PM  |  reply

Your prayer has been on my mind a lot today. I think because of the HOPE factor and knowing that when Jesus comes we will no longer have pain or destruction. Thank you for reminding us to put our hope and trust in God’s return.

11. posted on Dec 17, 2012 at 9:13 PM  |  reply

You said just enough.

12. posted on Dec 17, 2012 at 9:47 PM  |  reply

Simple words of beauty; thank you. Since Friday, much like during many dark and tragic times before, the words that always come to my mind are; shine His light into a darkened world. Love and light that sources from God will always be more powerful than despair and darkness. We as believers need to shine God’s love into a darkened world and ignite a spark of hope into hearts filled with despair.

13. posted on Dec 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM  |  reply

i keep singing the words *take this world and give me Jesus, this is not where i belong* over and over. my momma’s heart cannot fathom…

14. posted on Dec 18, 2012 at 7:06 AM  |  reply

Love your honesty and transparency. Yes, sweet Jesus. Come.

15. Betsy
    posted on Dec 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM  |  reply

Great post, exactly spot on. Side note: jealous of you getting to see Andrew Peterson at the Ryman. That sounds amazing.

16. posted on Dec 18, 2012 at 11:54 AM  |  reply

Thanks for this, Annie. I wanted to write about everything but was afraid I’d just be “adding to the noise” – but this post reminded me that I also write for ME, and I needed to write about this. So I did, here, if you want to share with me. http://www.mariabaer.blogspot.com

17. gmh
    posted on Dec 18, 2012 at 10:18 PM  |  reply

Amen.

18. posted on Dec 21, 2012 at 9:16 AM  |  reply

[…] Is Broken Lamentations Sandy Hook What Writers Do An Attempt to Put Words on the Heartbreak Saddened by Specifics In Search of the Light I Am Not […]