Football: The Sport That Breaks My Heart

on January 22, 2013 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 24 comments by

First, I need to remind you of something.

I love football. It’s my favorite sport to watch. And if you corner me about it, yes, I used to wish I was a boy so I could play football. I would have been good. [But I’m glad I’m a girl. God knew what He was doing.] [It’s weird to tell the internet that you wished you could have played football. I hope we’re still friends.]

And here are the teams that I love:

I love Georgia football. Even before I was a student at the University of Georgia, I was cheering for their football team. When it actually became MY TEAM as a student, the loyalty was sealed for life.

I love Falcons football. I am a huge huge fan of the Atlanta Falcons and have been for my whole life. Now, I’m not one to sit down and watch any NFL game that comes on the TV, like I would college football, but I will always watch or keep up with Falcons scores. It’s a family thing, as evidenced by me and my sisters attending the game with our Dad yesterday. [Which, even with the loss, was an incredibly fun day.]

seesters

For the majority of you who don’t know what the last six weeks has been like for the crowd that has this love of both of these teams, let me sum it up for you:

Heartbreaking.

On December 1, 2012, UGA played against Alabama at the Georgia Dome in the SEC Championship game. The winner of this game was guaranteed to go to the National Championship game. In the last play of the game, Georgia missed a pass into the end zone, allowing Alabama to win.

It hurt so deep.

On January 20, 2013 [ahem, Sunday afternoon], the Atlanta Falcons played against the San Francisco 49ers at the Georgia Dome in the NFC Championship game. The winner of this game was guaranteed to go to the Super Bowl. In the last play of the game, Atlanta missed a pass into the end zone, allowing the 49ers to win.

I. Mean.

Does that hurt your guts at all?

killer seats, huh?

Sure, there were other factors in both games that, had they been handled better by the hometown team, the outcome would have been different.

But in November? In November, we all really had our sights set on two Georgia teams playing in THE GAME.

Unfortunately, both teams lost the game before THE GAME.

Pardon me for taking sports too seriously, but this is when I’d like to insert an old wise saying from the sage Ricky Bobby- if you ain’t first, you’re last.

I looked over at my sister as the game was coming to an end on Sunday and I said, “Remind me that I do not need to cry about this.” Because, as evidenced by my stories and this post in general, I take my football too seriously.

I hate losing. I really really hate losing. I especially hate losing when you are on the cusp of being a WINNER.

And when both teams have waited YEARS – the Dawgs were national champions in 1980 and the Falcons have never won the Super Bowl- and it looks like THIS IS THE YEAR FOR THEM BOTH, and then they lose the game before THE GAME, well, it could make a healthy person just wanna puke.

Because now? The season starts over. We begin again- everybody on a level playing field. And we have to build new winning seasons and hope that everything aligns for another chance at THE GAME. Sure, by the time the fall rolls around, I’ll be feeling so excited for another season. But today? It just plain hurts.

And I’d just like to say- if Georgia had made it to the National Championship game, we’d have beaten Notre Dame that day too. The Falcons? They could have won the Super Bowl.

Oh sigh.

I write to release the pain. Can you tell?

And just for your information, here are other things I take too seriously:

• being on time
  • flirty text messages from single men
  • avoiding bell peppers

Happy Tuesday.

. . . . .

Do you love your team like this? Or am I a lunatic? Or both?

1. posted on Jan 22, 2013 at 7:07 AM  |  reply

I understand your pain and actually thought of you while watching the Georgia v. Alabama game. Tough losses. We follow SC pretty closely since we have a graduate and a soon-to-be graduate in the family. (Our youngest pulls for Clemson. Go figure.)

My older son always says second place is first loser. Thanks, Son.

• posted on Jan 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM  |  reply

Amen. I agree. First loser.

2. posted on Jan 22, 2013 at 8:34 AM  |  reply

Not a lunatic… go Dawgs all day long!

• posted on Jan 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM  |  reply

That’s right, LS. πŸ™‚

3. Lea
    posted on Jan 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM  |  reply

The 3 best football games I’ve seen in my life were all in the GA Dome. All were SEC championship games, 2 Bama vs. FL and then this past one vs. GA. It really was the national championship and we all know it, if that helps. UGA brought it. Y’all totally would have beaten ND too. I was standing there going “Why do I do this to myself? Is forcing myself to breathe really all that fun?” And all of the Bama fans are with you on the Falcons loss because how can you not love Julio? And because hello, the SEC/South has to stick together for NFL teams.
    So no, you’re not alone or a lunatic :).

• posted on Jan 22, 2013 at 12:20 PM  |  reply

Thanks for your sympathy. And if Georgia has to lose, I’d rather lose to Alabama than, say, Florida. Barf.

Julio is amazing. We’re lucky to have him.

4. posted on Jan 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM  |  reply

Flirty text messages from single men: Amen and Amen.

• posted on Jan 22, 2013 at 12:20 PM  |  reply

Right? Right.

• posted on Jan 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM  |  reply

Yes, I also take them too seriously. And I think we should throw FB messages in there too. πŸ˜‰

• posted on Jan 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM  |  reply

Girl. People wish I’d take my FB messages more seriously- I’ve got a stack a mile high waiting to be answered. Oops. I just always forget! (Maybe a job for my intern?) πŸ™‚

5. Hillary
    posted on Jan 22, 2013 at 12:04 PM  |  reply

I hear ya, Annie. I live near Detroit, aka Hockeytown. We’ve been without hockey since October. And the Red Wings first game since the end of the lock-out, they lost. 6-0. Ouch. And of course those ridiculous flirty texts from single men! I feel like they know. *shakes head*

• posted on Jan 22, 2013 at 12:21 PM  |  reply

6-0?!? Bless you. That’s the worst.

And also the worst? Flirty texting. I’m glad we’re all on the same page about this. πŸ™‚

6. Merideth
    posted on Jan 22, 2013 at 12:22 PM  |  reply

I feel your pain, girl. I hated seeing both of those losses too. And I had an additional one because I am a Patriots fan. So, not only did my favorite team not get in(the patriots), but my second favorite team(the falcons) didn’t get in. I was so hoping for an Atlanta Vs. New England Super Bowl, and now I don’t even know that I care to watch the super bowl. The last 2 super bowls the patriots got in were against the much hated New York giants, and those were both horribly painful losses. Then, there is my first love in sports. Baseball. Red Sox fans, such as myself, suffered many many heartbreaking losses over the years. 86 years without a championship finally ended when we won the 2004 world series, and boy was that glorious. Being a sports fan can be painful sometimes.
    OH, and flerty texts from single guys…Who wouldn’t go crazy over that?

• posted on Jan 22, 2013 at 12:26 PM  |  reply

Hurts hurts hurts. I hear ya.

• posted on Jan 22, 2013 at 12:55 PM  |  reply

Go giants! πŸ™‚

7. Andrea
    posted on Jan 22, 2013 at 1:09 PM  |  reply

I totally understand your love for college football–it’s one of my love languages. I’m from Bama (I hope we can still be friends) and am now living in CO. As you know the NFL team out here is the Broncos so I decided I would try to be a good resident and love the Broncos–epic fail! When the Broncos played the Falcons guess who came running out on the field–none other than little Julio Jones! Playing the Saints? Oh, there’s Mark Ingram, etc. Plus, just when I get used to cheering for Tim Tebow he up and moves to NY..now I’m supposed to cheer for Manning?! Nope. I am way too loyal. Players trump organizations. So, I’ll just stick with college football-there’s way less trading of players and other such tomfoolery.

PS: I love your posts, your heart and passion shine! πŸ™‚

• posted on Jan 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM  |  reply

Tebow. I like him, minus that whole going-to-Florida mistake. πŸ™‚

(Thanks for your kind words. πŸ™‚ )

8. Tasha
    posted on Jan 22, 2013 at 3:43 PM  |  reply

As a Dawg fan and Falcon fan for life, I feel you sister! Oh how I feel you!!!!

• posted on Jan 22, 2013 at 4:41 PM  |  reply

Amen.

• posted on Jan 22, 2013 at 4:41 PM  |  reply

Glad I’m not the only one.

9. posted on Jan 22, 2013 at 6:22 PM  |  reply

Annie. I felt the same heartbreak as I stood in my living room, hands in the air like a fool, believing we (the Seahawks) had pulled it out and won with a little over 30 seconds left in the game against your Falcons a couple of weeks ago. Oh, the joy. Then, the despair. Shock. Disbelief. The “and we have to start over” depression. My brother had to leave the room and all I could hear was him slowly beating his head agains the bathroom wall. He still can’t talk about it. Your Falcons, Downs.
    I feel ya, to say the least. πŸ˜‰

10. gmh
    posted on Jan 22, 2013 at 7:09 PM  |  reply

I’m a Seahawks fan. I don’t even feel the slightest bit sad that the Falcons lost to the 49ers.
    We’ll get you next year.

11. posted on Jan 22, 2013 at 10:31 PM  |  reply

I GET THIS. I love the Denver Broncos like I love breathing and tell people they will be in heaven (and I’m only partly joking. OK, I’m not joking at all, but know that’s not good). When they lost in DOUBLE OVER time to the Ravens. Come on.

Pain.

Deep pain.

12. Madi
    posted on Jan 26, 2013 at 11:25 PM  |  reply

Guurrrl…I know your pain. I’m a Notre Dame fan. That.game.huuurt. But, I’ll still read your blog πŸ™‚ However, I’m also a Niner fan…so will ya let me???? πŸ˜‰