TOP 5 FRIDAY: PCOS Resources

on April 5, 2013 in PCOS, TOP 5 FRIDAY with 18 comments by

Forgive my absence this week, friends. I have had a crazy couple of days – major bumps and shifts with some of my college students at church and I’m a little under the weather.

I can’t exactly figure out what is wrong with me, but I know that my body is going through aheckuvalot of changes right now as I’m working hard to treat PCOS as a real disease and change many of my eating and lifestyle habits. So it kinda feels like my body is saying, “Hey, for 2 months we were down with that, BUT GIVE A BODY SOME CHEESE, LADY, OR WE’RE GONNA FLU YOU UNTIL YOU DO.”

You know, toxins leaving your systems probably shouldn’t feel like just another Friday, so I’m grateful that my body is coming more in alignment with how God made me to be, even if it brings on the shivers and the sweats and a bit o’ the weak stomach.

I AM HAVING A GREAT TIME.

But really. I am. Sorta. I miss cheese and ice cream, but I’m also soooo grateful that I don’t feel sluggish and I’m seeing my body adjust to taking in the foods it can handle well instead of having to fight the disease AND the bad junk I was feeding it. [Sorry, bod. My bad.] I’m praying, every day, that my body would heal itself, from the inside out, as God always intended.

[I’ve gone totes granola hippy. Can you tell?]

I thought I’d share the top 5 resources that I’ve found helpful the last two months as I’ve stepped into this new lifestyle. And that’s what it is- not a diet, not denying myself, but choosing the right things for MY body to help it do all the things it was meant to do.

[Also. Let it be said I do not agree with EVERY SINGLE THING each of these people say. Ok… continue on…]

1. PCOS Websites

• PCOS Diva : Cheesy name. Totally great website. LOTS of info and recipes.
  • PCOS Diet Support : I love this British gal. She has tons of great info.

2. Documentaries

Call me a granola dork, but I’ve been watching food documentaries a lot of nights lately. Here are my top three favs:

• Hungry for a Change : I’ve watched this one multiple times. Talks about body, mind, and soul. LOVE.
  • Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead : Fascinating. My body does not need juicing as much as it needs the fiber from smoothies, but I love what you learn from this one.
  • FoodMatters : This one takes some thinking- not as entertaining, more factual. But still very interesting.

3. Blogs

• Detoxinista : LOTS of great recipes. I have a lot of weirdo restrictions due to PCOS and migraine [no dairy, no dark chocolate, no pork, no red wine, low carb, low sugar, no caffeine] but most of her recipes still work for me.
  • Undressed Skeleton : She’s inspiring and bubbly. I’ve tried a few of her recipes and they’ve been good!

4. Pinterest

I have my PCOS board for things I learn and my That’s Delish board for recipes I want to try, but I’m also enjoying searching PCOS and searching vegan [since I can add meat to any of that but it leaves out the stuff I don’t want].

5. My people

I cried to my mom this week because I am eating nothing that I used to love and my body isn’t doing the things it is supposed to do. [Ladies, read between the lines. Guys, don’t.] And my friends are so totally fine with me being the pickiest eater on God’s green Earth. And my intern loves it because he gets to try new snacks every day at work. My small group? They probably miss cheese and butter. Sorry, gals. It’s a process and I’m grateful for slow healing and really REALLY grateful for people walking right beside me.

. . . . .

YOUR TURN!

Any good websites for recipes? Or blogs? Or food/nutrition documentaries that I should watch? [Or, do you have any PCOS questions I can try to answer?]

1. Merideth
    posted on Apr 05, 2013 at 8:33 AM  |  reply

Annie. Sorry you are having a rough week. Praying for you girl. Question for you. I don’t have the same condition you do, but have been trying to eat healthier. But, I always have trouble finding tasty snacks that are healthy and filling. Got any suggestions?

• Heather
      posted on Apr 05, 2013 at 8:44 AM  |  reply

It’s in it’s early stages in the US and you can’t sign up without an invitation code, but I really enjoy Graze (graze.com). They send a box of healthy, yummy snacks (4 servings per box of 4 different kinds of snacks) on a regular basis (you choose the frequency). I’ve only gotten 2 boxes so far but I absolutely love it. It gets me to try things I wouldn’t normally and inspires me to choose more healthy options on my own also. You can completely customize what you receive too so that you don’t receive anything you can’t (or won’t) eat. Highly recommend. I hope they open it to the public soon!

• posted on Apr 05, 2013 at 10:10 AM  |  reply

I’ve seen a couple of these boxes- they look great!

• Sara
        posted on Apr 08, 2013 at 5:05 PM  |  reply

Hi there, I use graze over here in Scotland and they have been a great way to get over that sugar low in the afternoon! I would really recommend them too as they also include all the nutritional info you might need in the box.

• posted on Apr 05, 2013 at 10:09 AM  |  reply

Thanks, friend.

My pinterest boards have some great snacks, but I’m not a huge snacker- I usually choose apples and peanut butter or leftover smoothie or nuts.

2. Heather
    posted on Apr 05, 2013 at 8:39 AM  |  reply

Annie, I’ve been following your blog for awhile now (2ish years) and I always enjoy your honesty, humor and passion for Jesus. Your first post about PCOS really shook me up. I am in exactly the same boat you were before you changed your habits. It really resonated with me and I’ve been wanting to comment or email since then but haven’t gotten up the nerve. Little by little I’m starting to make some changes but would love to be able to ask you questions about it all. I know you probably don’t have time to respond to individual blog readers, but if you ever do I could SO use some PCOS advice. Praying you feel better soon!

• posted on Apr 05, 2013 at 10:10 AM  |  reply

I’m happy to answer your questions! To be honest, I don’t know much- but everything I’m learning I’m reading from PCOS Diva or PCOS Diet Support. Those two sites are the best. But feel free to shoot me an email and I’ll answer what I can!

• Heather
        posted on Apr 05, 2013 at 2:59 PM  |  reply

How do I email you? Through the contact Annie link at the top? Thanks!

3. Lea
    posted on Apr 05, 2013 at 9:03 AM  |  reply

I recommend watching the documentary Eating Alabama. It’s about a couple that only eats locally sourced, organic foods for one year. It winds up being a lovely story.
    If interested in general obesity and food policy, I also recommend watching The Weight of the Nation. It is made up of 4 hourish long episodes and can be watched free online at their website. It was made by HBO in conjunction with the CDC, IOM, NIH, etc. While not strictly nutrition based and not strictly granola, still educational. And it includes a segment on Nashville!

• posted on Apr 05, 2013 at 10:12 AM  |  reply

Ooooh. I haven’t heard of that one yet! It’s not on Netflix- have any idea where I can watch it?

4. posted on Apr 05, 2013 at 10:04 AM  |  reply

I’m not supposed to have ice cream either:( and it’s my fav food ever – double 🙁

these are my fav ice cream supplement recipes…

5. posted on Apr 05, 2013 at 11:01 AM  |  reply

I’m sorry you’re not feeling well. But I’m so happy that you know what is wrong and can work on fixing it. I’ll pray God heals you from the inside, too. Stay strong.

6. posted on Apr 05, 2013 at 12:40 PM  |  reply

Check out chocolatecoverdkatie.com

7. posted on Apr 06, 2013 at 12:12 PM  |  reply

Oh, you have my prayers 🙁 Detoxing from sugar is one of the most difficult things. My endocrinologist actually described some of the hormones that are released whenever your fat cells begin to break down as being as powerful as those of a pregnant woman. I can’t speak to that, really, but I will say that having those flu-ish symptoms + the hormones crazies is enough to make anyone implode. You can make it though! The other side is a sunshiny place 🙂

(Now I just need to talk myself back onto that same road!)

8. posted on Apr 06, 2013 at 12:53 PM  |  reply

I love that you make sure to emphasize that this isn’t a diet or denying yourself, but choosing what is good for your body. I am at a point in my life where I know that when I choose what is good will make my body function the way it should. This has huge spiritual implications for me! Thanks for being honest and real about this.

And isn’t trying new things just as exciting as some of those comfort foods!

9. Kim
    posted on Apr 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM  |  reply

Whew girl, you are re-writing my life! First, I’m sorry that you’re having to walk through disease and the sometimes slow process to healing. I know what it’s like, and you are so right – sometimes the detoxing phase is the hardest part. God totally changed my relationship to my body and how I was living several years ago when I was also walking through disease and I understand this sentence inside and out: “And that’s what it is- not a diet, not denying myself, but choosing the right things for MY body to help it do all the things it was meant to do.” Will pray for you with this too and as someone who’s made it “to the other side” so to speak I can say it only gets better and better as you stick with it. I hope you feel better soon! (p.s. I don’t know if you can have coconut milk, but if so… Coconut Bliss = your sugar free, dairy free, amaziiing yum icecream fix)

10. posted on Apr 12, 2013 at 2:30 AM  |  reply

Maybe not a recipe blog, but you should try the nashville sushi , and a particular location can be nodzilla, I loved the variety of the menu and excellent service, you can check their website in my name.

Have a great day

11. posted on Apr 12, 2013 at 6:08 AM  |  reply

[…] has had some posts lately about her diet changes brought on by PCOS. I don’t have that, but I feel like I keep bumping up about some diet-related things, and […]