I’m going to talk about Speak Love too much.

on August 8, 2013 in Speak Love with 13 comments by

speak love coverAnd I think it is only fair I (a) warn you and (b) tell you why.

I love writing books, it’s my job, and I am really grateful to do it.

But this book is different.

Speak Love is different.

. . . . .

From the beginning, I never intended to write a book about the power of words. I just talked about it at Girls of Grace. And then I wrote a 30-day devotional. And the doors just kept opening.

Zondervan offered to let me turn that talk into a book and that devotional into a journal.

And as I looked around, I realized God was doing something – something way too big and way too crazy and I was being invited to play along.

. . . . .

The first week of January, when I started writing Speak Love, I saw a picture in my mind. I was sitting at my round dining room table typing on my computer and standing around me, circled around the table, facing out, were bodyguards. Angelic bodyguards. I didn’t see anything attacking, I just saw them, looking up and out, totally standing patrol while I wrote.

And I knew, in that moment, that writing this book was part of a bigger battle that God is going to win- the battle for the hearts of teen girls.

[By the way, I’m writing this from a coffee shop and tears are just pouring down my face because I’m not kidding you when I say I can’t think of a greater honor than for God to offer me a small spot in this story. I am undone every time I think of it.]

I wasn’t scared when I saw this picture. I was motivated. I was focused. I understood that I was being protected from the enemy, who is real and against us every day, to get this book written. And while there were hard days in writing this book, it poured out from a place that has nothing to do with me.

. . . . .

So. I’m going to market this book to absolute death.

And people who don’t know me are going to say I’m an annoying self-promoter and all I talk about is Speak Love and whatever else that can come up with to make me feel stupid and bad at my job.

But I know the truth. And those of you who know me [all of you who come here] know the truth. I’m going to talk about Speak Love too much because I’m on a mission to be a part of rescuing teen girls from any and every way that the enemy tries to destroy them. And I won’t be quiet about that.

And I know what God has put in front of me next- using words to set those gals free, to heal them, to empower them to change the world. To get rid of the mean girl. Really.

. . . . .

I guess, in some ways, I’m asking you to join me. Will you blog about the book? Tweet about it? Tell your teen friends? Buy a copy or two for some college girls that you love?

Our pre-order swag is still going on, so you could get all that jazz too if you go ahead and order the book.

. . . . .

So that’s my heart. This is a much bigger thing than just the book- but I thank God all the time that He invited me into this, to use the gifts I have, to be a part of this story of rescue.

I am more grateful than I know how to express.

And that’s why I’m going to talk about Speak Love too much.

1. posted on Aug 08, 2013 at 5:48 AM  |  reply

I have chills reading this, Annie. I pray God uses this book to its full potential to reach hearts for Him.

• posted on Aug 08, 2013 at 9:37 AM  |  reply

Yes and amen. That’s what I want- for Him to put it in ALL the right hands.

2. Merideth
    posted on Aug 08, 2013 at 8:38 AM  |  reply

Annie, I definitely want to help you spread the word. Not sure how I’ll go about that yet, but I’ll think about it and see how I can help. I already pre-ordered the print and kindle versions of the book. I mainly baught the print version in case I want to use it with clients in some way. Can’t wait for the book to come out! I’d love it if there was a way to do a small group thing that I could do through my counseling work. Anything to help girls stop being mean to each other.

• posted on Aug 08, 2013 at 9:37 AM  |  reply

Thanks, Merideth!!

3. posted on Aug 08, 2013 at 8:54 AM  |  reply

Annie, you rock. And I’m pretty sure we won’t get tired of hearing about Speak Love. 🙂 It’s so cool to have been part of the writing process as I prayed for you! And to hear how God was protecting and shielding you as you wrote.. that’s amazing. I love that.

• posted on Aug 08, 2013 at 9:38 AM  |  reply

Thank you for praying, Frances. It means so much. I think that when we get to heaven, God will tell people like you, the ones who prayed, that all the good that came from this book will be YOUR crowns. I’m sure of it.

4. posted on Aug 08, 2013 at 12:17 PM  |  reply

You’re precious. I just love your heart. I can only imagine how the Lord is going to use this book to touch the lives of young women. I’ve never done a book review on my blog–maybe I should start.. 🙂

5. posted on Aug 08, 2013 at 1:19 PM  |  reply

Annie,
    Your book–the idea behind it–is already making a difference, and maybe in ways you hadn’t anticipated. You see, I have two young daughters–Elaina will be 4 in October, and Ellie turned 2 last month. So often I caught myself forgetting to praise them as much as I demand from them (“Do this, do that, don’t do that, stop it now, etc.) It isn’t that the praise wasn’t there–it just wasn’t the focus. A couple weeks ago I was really convicted that my daughters need to know how very much they are loved, even as we have to correct them. I told my husband, “I want to speak love into their lives. I want them to know they are precious, and they are good, and that grace lives in our home.” And then I realized I got my words from your book title. Thank you for that. Your words are making me a better parent. Can’t wait to see the big ways God moves through your book!

6. posted on Aug 08, 2013 at 5:45 PM  |  reply

Excited for you. Excited for my generation. Excited for what God is going to do.

7. Beth
    posted on Aug 08, 2013 at 10:52 PM  |  reply

So very exciting! Will be praying for you in the days ahead as the book releases and will look forward to getting my own copy. Go, Annie, go. Speak that thang!

8. posted on Aug 09, 2013 at 12:43 PM  |  reply

Do it!

9. posted on Aug 10, 2013 at 1:56 PM  |  reply

Well Said

10. Devyn
    posted on Aug 12, 2013 at 2:10 AM  |  reply

so excited! already pre-ordered it ! you inspire me and i re read your books when i need reminders. i wish the pre-order swag was offered to more than just the US though.. being canadain sucks ..