Day 1:: A Challenge for the Internet.

on October 1, 2013 in 31 Ways To Speak Love with 22 comments by

31 ways

I bet a lot of you are bloggers.

I bet more of you are on twitter and instagram.

I bet you are on the internet because hi, my name is Annie and you are reading my blog on the internet. ๐Ÿ™‚

. . . . .

A lie that a lot of bloggers believe is, “I don’t have a lot of readers, I guess I’m not important and what I have to say isn’t important. I’m not a big deal blogger, so I guess what I have to say doesn’t matter.”

I want to challenge that lie if you hear it in your head.

You don’t have enough followers to count for anything? You don’t have enough readers to make what you say matter?

NOT TRUE.

I told them to the Influence gals this weekend and I’m telling you as well: add up all your followers on every social media site. Twitter. Instagram. Facebook. Blog. And look at that number. Don’t compare it to someone else’s number, just look at it.

Do you realize that you are reaching FAR more people every day online than you could ever disciple or mentor on a daily basis?

A preacher may speak to 300 people on a Sunday morning, but YOU are speaking to your crowd every day, maybe multiple times a day, and you are leading them. Your words are leading other people.

So if you add up all your social media platform numbers and you are anything above twenty, you are doing more mentoring and leading than the average small group leader.

SERIOUSLY.

Your words matter. Your voice matters.ย

So dear internet friends, never underestimate your voice! You are impacting more people than you probably realize!

Use your platforms, use your voice, use whatever influence God has given you online to speak love and hope into the dark places.

YOUR VOICE MATTERS.

. . . . .

FaithGateway-AnnieDowns_banner4

Here’s a super fun way to kick off our month – tonight at 7pm CST I am doing a live one-hour chat with FaithGateway where we’ll discuss all of this – the power of our words, the mean girl, and according to that banner, I’m going to REVEAL DEEP THOUGHT.

Prepare yourself. ๐Ÿ™‚

Also, I’m gonna answer any questions you have! They will be pulling questions/comments from twitter, so tweet at us using the hashtag #SpeakLoveNow and tag @faithgateway.

It would be super fun if you grabbed a mug of chai and curled up on the porch swing with your laptop and log on with us.

. . . . .

SPEAK LOVE NOW.

Ok- so maybe I overuse those three words. ๐Ÿ™‚ We have Speak Love Nowย e-cards and an instagram feed, but every day this month, I’m going to challenge you to do ONE THING to speak love now.

Today is easy. Just tweet something encouraging or blog a kind word, idea, or scripture.

Remember that you are leading and mentoring and discipling with your social media crowd everyday – what can you say to your audience today to encourage them?

Feel free to link in the comments to your post or tweet speaking love to your audience! I’d love to see it!

1. posted on Oct 01, 2013 at 5:15 AM  |  reply

Annie, I’ve just written my first post for the 31 days challenge, and those exact words were going through my head: “Nobody reads my blog anyway, so what’s even the point?!” But you’ve so challenged me to think of the people who do read my blog, or who interact with me on social networking, that I can be a great encourager to them. I’m definitely going to be following your 31 days now! Thank you so much for being a blessing.
    -Shelley x

2. posted on Oct 01, 2013 at 5:23 AM  |  reply

I really needed to hear these words today. Thank you!

3. posted on Oct 01, 2013 at 7:04 AM  |  reply

Oh man I wish I could have heard you speak on this at the Influence Conference! It was exactly what I needed to read as I head into October. I’ve never thought of all the platforms that exist that we each have major influence on. Really looking forward to following along for your 31-days series!

4. posted on Oct 01, 2013 at 8:02 AM  |  reply

I will be posting a positive scripture on my twitter feed today! ๐Ÿ™‚

5. posted on Oct 01, 2013 at 9:14 AM  |  reply

amen sista! I was reading this at work, and I thought..WOW…such an important and interesting perspective. It makes me feel better about my 2.35readers that come to my blog. LOL! It’s all about being who you are, and people will follow. I mean, this IS how 31days started..grassroots.

6. posted on Oct 01, 2013 at 9:20 AM  |  reply

So excited to see what God is going to do through this 31 days! Love your heart so much. And thanks for reminding me that my small amount of readers doesn’t matter!

7. posted on Oct 01, 2013 at 9:38 AM  |  reply

I love you, Annie. You’re awesome!

8. posted on Oct 01, 2013 at 9:41 AM  |  reply

Thanks for the perspective Ms. Downs. I love thinking about using the internet/social media to bring loads of light in the face of the darkness it all can bring. Thank you for listening to Jesus as you live.

9. posted on Oct 01, 2013 at 10:05 AM  |  reply

This is such a good reminder – and as I read, I thought “duh” but I’ve honestly never, ever thought about the impact my words, typed, my have. Thank you for sharing!

10. posted on Oct 01, 2013 at 3:09 PM  |  reply

Such a good reminder!

11. posted on Oct 01, 2013 at 3:17 PM  |  reply

Wow … Yeah, I usually feel like I am just babbling in the middle of a forest … Such a good reminder! Thank you!

12. posted on Oct 01, 2013 at 5:20 PM  |  reply

Thank you for this encouragement today, Annie! I often feel like I’m making no impact whatsoever, and this was a helpful shift in perspective.

13. posted on Oct 01, 2013 at 9:13 PM  |  reply

Hello Annie Downs! Nice to meet you. I loved your book. Thank you so much for saying it so beautifully. I am very conscious of the words I speak to my “challenging” child. I so want to speak life and grace to her and not, well, not some of the things that I have said, and certainly think. Thanks.

14. posted on Oct 01, 2013 at 10:06 PM  |  reply

[…] I have decided to do this:ย http://annieblogs.com/2013/10/01/day-1-a-challenge-for-the-internet/#.UkuHuvltiuk.ย  […]

15. posted on Oct 01, 2013 at 10:08 PM  |  reply

I’m coming along for the ride! I call shot gun! =)
    Annie, I think that what you do and what you motivate others to do is amazing! Praying for you!

16. Kim
    posted on Oct 01, 2013 at 10:12 PM  |  reply

Yes, I totally believe in everything you’re doing! I’m def linking to the ecards during my 31 Days series. Thanks for the encouragement when doubts creep in. You’re the best. ๐Ÿ™‚

17. Naomi
    posted on Oct 01, 2013 at 11:21 PM  |  reply

I’m in for this challenge! Thanks for taking the time to write on this big topic! Praying for where & who this Speak Love message may reach out to this month and beyond ๐Ÿ™‚

18. posted on Oct 02, 2013 at 12:43 AM  |  reply

I think this ALL THE TIME! I follow some bloggers that are “hot shot” bloggers… and while I know my heart (capability) isn’t to be a big blogger with a huge following, I still compare. But I never thought to think of it this way before. Thank you so much for that! I can’t wait to read more of this series. ๐Ÿ™‚

19. posted on Oct 02, 2013 at 2:54 PM  |  reply

i love this perspective. so encouraging. and it makes me want to be more deliberate.

20. posted on Oct 04, 2013 at 3:11 AM  |  reply

[…] 5. I also loved this from Annie Downs–A Challenge for the Internet. […]

21. posted on Oct 12, 2013 at 4:28 PM  |  reply

Hi, Annie. ๐Ÿ™‚ I came over to your blog from Ann Voskamp’s, and I am so glad she linked to you. I have so enjoyed reading back through your 31 day posts so far. I have found great encouragement in your reminders that our words MATTER – even for those us who wrestle at times with feeling like “small” bloggers. He has been reminding me that encouraging even ONE in His name really does matter.

And this quote, from one of your other days – “We donโ€™t Speak Love because of what we will get back. We Speak Love because of what it will birth and stir and create in the hearts of others.” Love it.

Oh, and on feeling mentored by Beth Moore even though you don’t really know Beth Moore. I finally sent her a thank you note a few months ago. I always felt like surely she gets tons of thank you notes, why would mine matter? But then I realized – she has had such a HUGE impact on my walk with Christ – how can I NOT thank her!

Anyways!!! Long comment to say – it is nice to meet you. ๐Ÿ™‚

Blessings,
    K

22. Abigail
    posted on Sep 09, 2015 at 6:17 PM  |  reply

I am halfway through your book speak love and I am obsessed! It’s interesting what you find in the library.