Valentine’s Gifts.

on February 13, 2015 in Single Stuff with 12 comments by

It’s Valentine’s weekend. I don’t currently have a gentleman to celebrate the day with (I’ll let you know if that changes between today and tomorrow), but I am a little giddy about Saturday. I love seeing other people in love and I feel like it’ll be in my sights all day. And I also have a gift card to Nordstrom’s…. so…. clearly, I’ll have a great day.

For starters, I have a gift for you. Really. That’s how I feel. Especially if you are single, I think this message that God laid on my heart, that I lived first, can make a huge difference in your life if you will believe it. Please. PLEASE. Would you take 30 minutes and watch this today? And believe it? Believe that no matter what your circumstances, God has given you a good life.

(We can’t embed the video yet, so here is the link to go watch it on Buckhead Church’s website, or click the screen shot below.)

thisisthegoodlife

Also. My friend Laura, when she was single last year for Valentine’s Day, she bought herself a waffle maker. She said it helped her have a really fun day, and I’m all about that. So I thought of a couple of things you should buy yourself.

barnesalbum

Hymns for Her by Dave Barnes

This sweet little EP is under $10 and such a great addition to your music collection. The songs are so so good and the album feels super mature, like you should be making homemade pasta.

I don’t know. I’m just telling you my feelings.

This is also a good gift to give a person you love. Just saying.

bracelet

Clutch Beaded Bracelet

I love 107 Market Street and I could NOT resist this bracelet when my friend Amy showed it to me. I wore it when I spoke at Buckhead Church and I kind of can’t quit wearing it. And for only $12 (which is a STEAL I tell you), this would be a fun Valentine gift to yourself.

Screen Shot 2015-02-12 at 11.21.15 PMPride & Prejudice

Please just do it. You know you want to. Watch it. Love it. Tear up a few times. Enjoy it to the very center of your heart.

Happy Valentine’s Day, friends.

Love you so.

xoxo

1. Katie Kemper
    posted on Feb 13, 2015 at 8:37 AM  |  reply

Oh Sweet Annie~

I watched the video. Such good stuff. I too, am in a season of waiting, My desire is to have a baby. I have been encouraged by you, your blog, your books, your book clubs over the past 4 or 5 years. Even though our lives look different – the truth in your speaking still sinks so deep within me. It reaffirms the truth that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

I wrote this text to my friend yesterday.

“In John 10:10 it says that Christ came to give us life and to give it abundantly. While I have a tendency to think that my abundant life will begin once I have a baby or for you once your in your career and you have your wife and all that stuff, Christ came to give us an abundant life now. In our waiting, in our messes, in our doubts and uncertainty. I can live in Christ’s abundant promise now even when I don’t have what I desire.”

I love when God speaks in echos. Your writing and ministry has made just an impact on me. Thank you for investing in me by sharing your life with me.

2. Connie
    posted on Feb 13, 2015 at 9:34 AM  |  reply

I really love your heart for single folks. Your ministry and words are so important. I’m married, but was the last in my circle to do so. The pressure put on me by my married friends and, unfortunately, many in the church, was extreme and often disheartening. I allowed it to shape how I viewed my singleness, and that didn’t provide for the most productive season of singleness. Honestly, I regret that. I wish I had focused more on friends, my education and the things God had called me to.

Wow, I sound like a huge bummer! I don’t mean to, I just tend to tell it like it is. My point is that, as a happily married woman (because God does redeem, baby!), I can say that when someone says singleness is a gift, it is straight up true. Being married is awesome and I love it. However being single is awesome too, and I wish I had loved it more. When I was single and someone told me it was a gift, I wanted to punch them square in the mouth. Looking back I know they were right and I hope I can convince anyone out there to believe it, especially if they’re struggling with it.

Now I’m going to go watch your video! 🙂

3. Heather
    posted on Feb 13, 2015 at 2:36 PM  |  reply

Thanks for sharing the video link, Annie! You did a fabulous job. I really appreciated the reminder that God knows the end of our story even though we don’t. It’s true that it’s easy to see the scripture passages all tied up with a bow because we know the end, but the reminder that those people did not certainly helps us live our lives in the not-knowing. Keep living each day to the fullest, even when it’s tough!

4. Amber
    posted on Feb 13, 2015 at 9:17 PM  |  reply

Can’t wait to watch!

5. posted on Feb 13, 2015 at 10:04 PM  |  reply

Annie…

Let me first say that I kind of met you at IF this weekend. And by kind of, I mean, I was the one you had to straddle/jump over in the front section of seats as you prepared to start the first session. Blessings.

Let me second say that I honestly think we would be GREAT friends, and if there is something “wrong” with your personality, there is something wrong with mine too! I really wished we could grab that coffee like you speak of in your talk, but, California is pretty far. 🙂

Thank you for being so transparent in your struggle and joy with singleness. As a 25 year old woman, I am learning to trust God and to stop passively waiting, as you have said so eloquently. Friend, I HAVE LIVED THE LIFE OF THE OLD COMFORTER. Somehow, I don’t think I am worthy of the good things because those are reserved for the marrieds; the registries, the parties, the beautiful homes. NO. NO LONGER. And, let me tell you that I work with junior high students and I parent some of them better than their own parents and that beings me to tears at least once a week.

Thank you for sharing your journey and encouraging all of us who are in the same boat. Singleness is just as sanctifying as marriage; to rely on God to be with you in that lonely, cold bed at night after a long, draining day. But, we keep hoping, not passively waiting, but hoping in a faithful God who will radically exceed any expectation or dream we could ever have.

6. posted on Feb 14, 2015 at 10:24 AM  |  reply

Dear Annie,
    I have only been reading your blog for a few months now and I don’t even remember how I tumbled upon it, but I want to thank you for being courageous and vulnerable enough to share this message and share about yourself. When you spoke that part about believing that your personality is what you have going for you and your singleness might be because of how you look, I immediately began to cry – because that’s what I have believed – and still believe about myself. I am newly single. I went thru a horrible divorce ’13 into ’14…. Yeah, things didn’t work out with the ex-convict I married because although he presented himself as ‘reformed’ he pretty quickly went back to his convict ways…and it’s only been since after the break up that I’ve processed and the Holy Spirit has so gently shown me that I married him because I believed that was the best I could do, or I married him because I thought he would always need me (because I’ve led a law-abiding, stable, consistently employed, “good” girl, life). But even the love (??) that I settled for still didn’t last and now I’m single, 36, overweight (always have been), with a great personality (although I feel much more fragile than I ever did before my life took this detour)…. And I need to wrap this up because it’s too long and golly, I hope you’ll actually read this, but I just wanted to say THANK YOU for your honesty and bravery and your message was timely because at my church’s ladies Bible study my pastor’s wife was JUST THIS WEEK talking about being AWAKE to this current season of your life even if you feel like you are WAITING for something else, your LIFE is NOW and be awake and alert and plugged in to God NOW, not just when “such and such” happens. God Bless you richly and I look forward to a blog post with pictures of your Monaco Blue comforter!! Susan C. Altamonte Springs Florida

7. E
    posted on Feb 14, 2015 at 12:02 PM  |  reply

Watched this today and was sobbing, in the best way. This is so good – I’m struggling with contentment in marriage and this was so encouraging.

8. Jessica
    posted on Feb 14, 2015 at 8:30 PM  |  reply

Annie, I have read a few of your blogs. As a 25 year old single woman, I can honestly say your boldness and rawness as a single has given me confidence to trust God and to give my feelings to him. Thank you!! I hope you had a great Valentine’s day!

9. stephanie
    posted on Feb 15, 2015 at 5:54 PM  |  reply

Annie,
    I watched this last night as a 35-year-old very single gal and it blessed me so much. Last year, I turned down a job in another city because I was afraid that I would be missing out on stuff at home. Now, I wish that I would have taken a giant step, moved somewhere new even though I didn’t know a soul, and just had an adventure. Praying that it’s not too late and that I’ll get another shot to do so.
    Thanks for the message and for sharing your heart. I am going to begin everyday believing that this is indeed the good life!

10. Julie
    posted on Feb 17, 2015 at 1:13 PM  |  reply

Annie,

Thank you a thousand times over for the gift of that video. The Lord met me while watching it. Grateful for the awesome way God made you. Grace and peace to you, sisterfriend!

11. Nikki
    posted on Feb 21, 2015 at 10:20 AM  |  reply

I watched the Dateable series last night. It was such an encouragement to me! I haven’t gotten to date much at all and wonder at times what I’m doing wrong. Just need to hold on and wait. I love that you said today is a good day- the day God acted! Thanks so much for your encouraging and funny message. I hope that you get to get a new comforter soon!
    I always told myself I wouldn’t get a house until I was married because then I would be settled. But there came a point where I had to get out of where I was living for sanity and spiritual sake. So I took the plunge to buy a house and settle down, which God laid out and let go smoothly.
    I also love that you get to mother others and love them whole heartedly! I know I had women in my life to do the same and they made a big impact on my life. Keep doing what you’re doing! Love your personality! God bless!

12. Jenni
    posted on Mar 24, 2015 at 7:02 AM  |  reply

Finally carved out the time to watch. And it was well worth it! Just turned 39, still single, and struggling to find community that at least tries to sit in that space with me. Love the perspective of seeing now as the good life and not just sitting and waiting for all my prayers to be answered – but that is hard to do!

Would love to be able to listen again, but generally don’t have time to sit at a computer where I can watch the video as it is now. Any chance you could get it posted on YouTube or the audio pulled into a podcast so that it could be accessible on an iPhone?